Getting and Spending: Two petites shop the sales

I'm going to write of Jill with the affection she easily elicits, but not pull punches. Jill is the best friend of one of my friends, Rachel, so I see her when Rachel invites us to lunch or a film. 

She is just over five feet, a size 4-6 petite, who has retired, lives alone and had not bought any clothes since 2019, because, like many women, she spent several years in pyjamas and sweats. This past year she has resumed her volunteer job at a busy hospital, and needs some clothes.

Jill wanted to shop with Rachel, also petite, and a former fashion designer. Her budget was $400 and she expected more than one outfit for that. She had waited for the end-of-summer sales to buy pieces for casual outings.

Rachel invited me to join them afterwards for a glass of wine. They headed for what is terra incognita to me, petite departments.

Jill's look, which Rachel was eager to update: heavy on the sweet side of florals, a fondness for cardigans, and classic, rather staid cuts. (Rachel said, "I don't even know where they sell these clothes anymore.") Jill is devoted to trousers; the drawstring waist is well-represented. 

Rachel's style is different from Jill's—Coastal Grandma with a Platinum Card. I thought, This ought to be good.

A Jill "before" style

I got to the bistro early; while I held the table, I tried to second-guess Rachel and used my phone to check out stores that sold petite sizes. Here's what I chose:

My picks

Top left: Blouson paisley-print top; sale price $50 from Laura Petites.  

Bottom left: City Fit (washable) trousers with slit hem and two-way stretch; in Blonde Mix. Sale price, $80 at Laura Petites

Centre: Zipper-leg capris in Vetiver; sale price, $78 at Laura Petites

Top right: Vex tropical print tee; price, $60, Laura Petites. Will look good with both trousers.

Bottom right: Nothing against cardies, but she has a stack to see her into heaven. I chose a Gap denim blazer, made in petite sizes at time of posting, now s/o. With the 10% discount online, the price was $144.  

I was slightly over budget at $412 (before taxes). Just after I ordered a Campari and soda, they sashayed in swinging bags, looking pleased. I showed them my fantasy shop. Turns out I got it really wrong!

Rachel got Jill into Banana Republic's cotton twill utility jeans (sale price, $60 each); she was reluctant to try a gathered cuff, but in the dressing room was astonished at how much she liked them, and bought them in ecru and olive. Rachel showed her how Banana Republic's poplin cropped shirt in blue ($95) could be worn open over her tank or on its own. The cut is called "boxy" but fit her neatly. (Update: BR now have an even better sale on selected styles, 40% off.)

Going with a shorter-cut shirt—worn untucked—and the full-length jeans lengthened Jill's leg line. Rachel explained that the magic 1:3 ratio will always create visual balance.

Then they shopped for shoes, because she said Jill didn't have the right ones for the new jeans. The vibe: Ecco Retro Street Lites in Morillo, on sale for $99. On a whim, Rachel dropped by Change, the Danish lingerie boutique, where they found the Melanie bralette (sale price, $25.) Rachel says an update comes from the inside out. Jill could not even remember the last time she bought lingerie, and had never tried a bralette. She wore it out of the store!

What Rachel and Jill bought

We played it two different ways: I followed Jill's taste but tried some tweaks; Rachel took her out of her zone, into a different attitude. When she said she'd hoped to find Jill a jumpsuit, Jill laughed and said she had dodged a bullet. I found more pieces for the money, but they are—except for the denim blazer—polys or blends; Rachel is a stickler for pure fibres. 

Rachel maintains that it's better to buy one perfect thing at a higher price than several okay items. (She is the friend who associates "budget" with a rental car agency.) I was going for decent quantity, while avoiding the lowest-end fast fashion (e.g. H&M), but Rachel delivered a more upscale look.  

Now that Jill has her sleek-petite update, she would like winter trousers as current as her new summer-into-fall jeans. Rachel, an expert sewist, volunteered to copy the BR pair, or suggest other styles. 

And it was Rachel who came in under budget—at $358—so she bought the apéros!




Comments

Ms. Liz said…
I am also petite and it is very difficult to find interesting and good quality clothing in a petite size these days. So interesting when you compare the purchases and your picks! I too can vouch for those utility pants as I purchased them last year in the navy colour at full price. They are neat fitting and comfortable. I also have the sneakers which I can vouch for as being very comfortable as I wore them nearly every day during a recent trip to London England. They can handle 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day no problem. Maybe I should look at that shirt? Thanks again for a great post. You write wonderfully and I look forward to your Tuesday posts.
LauraH said…
Rachels' picks look great. How wonderful for Jill that she had a knowledgeable friend to steer her in the right direction. Clothes buying has been a challenge for me over the years...many many mistakes were made! Although I'm not petite I may take a look at Banana Republic, that top may work well with my short waist. A fun and eye opening post:-)
Duchesse said…
Ms. Liz: What a coincidence. I think BR have resolved to offer stylish but not ridiculously young clothes, and now quietly court those of us who remember the original company's durable and versatile clothes. They also are one of the few making Tall.

LauraH: Rachel has a great eye and being petite herself helps. She still wants to get Jill into a jumpsuit.

Venasque said…
I am not petite but I found this post very interesting (and bought the cropped shirt). Some of your readers may want to try a blog called Extra Petite, written by Jean Wang. She is in her 30s with two small children but her suggestions are easily transferrable (perhaps with a tweak or two) to any age. I love her posts and have followed her for many years. Lots of practical suggestions too for fixing things for shorter bodies. She's a maniac for things fitting properly.
Barbara said…
At 5.3 I am also petite. It's almost impossible to buy anything with the right length.
Such a pity, that Banana Republic left Europe. Otherwise I would have bought the utility pant and boxy shirt in a heartbeat.
Ms. Liz said…
Venasque - thank you so much for sharing the Extra Petite blog recommendation.
Duchesse said…
Venasque: Adding my thanks to Ms. Liz'. Sharing resources for specialty sizes, or other hard to find items is a gift, Otherwise we can act in desperation and then live in regret for what is not an earthshaking area of life— but still, who wants to waste money?
KH said…
Many years ago I remember a summary of standard offerings in the Petite department: Little Business Woman, Little Grandma, and Little Hooker. It’s still easy to land in those boxes but I particularly appreciate the brands that routinely offer Petite sizes. It’s hard to find a personal or unique style at the mall stores, but I appreciate the variety.
Duchesse said…
KH: Little Hooker reminded me of the Hallowe'en when my sons were helping me distribute the candy. A severn or eight year old girl came to the door in fishnets, a tiny bra top, an even tinier mini skirt, and a satin shrug. One son asked her, "What's your costume?". She looked at him matter-of-factly and said, "Ho."
Allison said…
I ‘m 5’1 but not a ‘petite’ …my 26 “ inseam is the only thing that relates to petite sizing. From my size 9-9.5 feet to my XL head circumference I believe Ma Nature cheated me of a few inches LOL. I am broad of shoulder, buxom with longer than average petite arms so must needs purchase blouses/tops in the regular sections. Pants are my issue..every petite knows that you can’t just shorten a leg hem significantly and call it petite it’s that dang crotch to waist rise that is the devil in the detail! My best fitting pants were Nygard ( but for obvious reasons have deleted from my wardrobe just google Peter Nygard and you’ll know why) Next up that practical but rather boring couple of American emporiums Lands End andLLBean do offer petite sizing even for those of us a little broad of beam but nothing exciting. Also USD:(
Lucky am I to truly fall into the ‘big boned’ category so I can wear larger pieces of jewelry which suits me. Ugh I was sitting behind a table on a dais one time at a speaking engagement, the MC had only greeted me while I was sitting down. His face registered his shock and surprise when I stood up to speak. He flustered as he adjusted the microphone for me saying” You appear a lot taller sitting down”:)

The posts with the most