Fashion Advice: "How to Dial Up Your Look"

In late July, Guardian Fashion Editor Jess Cartner-Morley wrote, "Understated Dressing is Overrated—Here's How to Dial Up Your Look".  A friend forwarded the article to ask what I thought. 

I was not attracted to the photo, a blazer with pushed-up sleeves over a dress in a large-scale print. I almost hung up then and there.

Photo: The Guardian

(If you have ever gotten a blazer sleeve to stay pushed up once you actually use your arms, please share the secret.)

She does, however, succinctly describe one's public image—"Your outfit is your hello to the world"—and asks a crucial question, "What would you like people to think when they see you?" Without second-guessing myself, I replied, "Not bad, for an old bird!"

To Cartner-Morley, classics like the little black dress make you "look like you belong in the room", but says that sometimes you want people to think you are more than merely appropriate, e.g., "interesting, sophisticated, powerful or sexy." This is asking quite a bit of a dress!

She handles "sophisticated" by recommending dramatic shapes, whether narrow or voluminous (not the normcore in-between) and those shapes should be "interesting" via a print or colour. (The outfit in the photo combines both attributes, but I don't find it interesting.)

She doesn't touch "powerful", but assuming she refers to the higher reaches of business and social  worlds, one can find lessons in the costuming of "Succession's" characters, especially Marcia Roy and Lady Caroline Collingwood. 

Lady Collingwood's YSL jacket


"Sexy" is in the eye of the beholder, and most predictably fanned by revealing the body or at least a solid preview reel. It is not always about clothes themselves. The hair, the body language... where was I?

Oh, right. Here's a secret weapon: I've never known a man or woman (depending on your preference) who has not found a pair of supple, fitted boots sexy, and give 'em at least a hint of heel; we're not talking Blundstones here.

Even in beat-up jeans and a t-shirt, you may, if there's a modicum of interest, reap as much frank admiration in those boots as in a seductive dress—or you could wear them just for your own fine self. They are always more pricey than you'd hope, but will be the life of many a party. 





Three levels of head-turning boots:
1. Luxury: Tod's snake-effect leather ankle boots; sale price $CDN 632 on The Outnet.
2. Not cheap but not crazy: J. Crew suede "Stevie" suede ankle boots in Rich Toffee; price $CDN 365.
3. Budget wink: Vivai Regina Pro boots in black/red (and many other colours), of water-repellant fabric. Price, $CDN 206.

Cartner-Morley saves her full Miranda Priestlyesque scorn for the middle-aged woman in "drapey, oatmeal-coloured loungewear that you might fondly imagine makes you look refined and mysterious", but in fact makes you "nearly invisible". I avoid the "Coastal Grandma" aesthetic not because of its low visibility, but because those clothes enervate me. I feel like a saltine cracker dabbed with a bit of mayo.

Shortly after I read the piece, I was on the métro, where I noticed three woman in similar palettes, but expressed so differently. One wore a crisp white sari embroidered with summer flowers, one was in funky crocheted pants and a pinstriped shirt; another had put together a retro outfit of different hues of pink from cats' eye glasses to peony-hued lipstick, to a top and pleated skirt. Each was "interesting", but in her own way.



Cartner-Morley reminds us that our clothes say hello, but that greeting is then interpreted through the filter of the onlooker's history. That's why someone aiming for "interesting" may look bizarre to one onlooker, and release ardent admiration in another. It depends who's looking.

 That day, I wore a pink and green cotton midi dress in two block-printed fabrics. 

The woman in the sari turned to me, smiled warmly, and said, "India!" My dress connected with her, moving my hello from a declaration to a dialogue.

 

Comments

Venasque said…


I actually laughed out loud reading "I feel like a saltine cracker dabbed with a bit of mayo". You do have a way with words. She's right about the I've given up and am wearing elastic waist beige look. Not good for anyone of any age. And while I'm at it, I wish older women would realize they need to pay attention to the eyebrows. When they go grey - your hair is grey, your eyebrows are grey, your face is (a bit) grey. There's nothing to give definition to their face. Just have them coloured. And don't let anyone use hair dye.

To keep your sleeves pushed up, push the sleeve up, add a large hair elastic (the thick 2" ones, or a large elastic band) over the sleeve and place it in the wrinkled art of the sleeve. Tuck some of the sleeve over to make sure it doesn't show and voila.
Duchesse said…
Venasque: Agree brows should have some presence, whether dyed or filled in with another product that delivers realistic subtle colour. One of my friends uses beard dye... it seems to work well for her.
Thanks for the tip about elastics; I don't wear any sleeve pushed up but for those who do, that would work.
Laura J said…
Never did like coastal grandma as it suggests
older women=grandma
Coastal warmth (not in NS lol)
Definitely designed for the blonde, blue eyed fair skinned…also helps if thin,!
Agree that boots are fun..miss my western boots…sadly horribly uncomfortable!! 🙄
Duchesse said…
Laura J: Many women who are the age to be grandmothers are presumed to be one, and it is strange to me that a woman who is of younger isn't so readily assumed to be a mother. Cowboy boots are hard to fit comfortably if one’s feet or toes are not straight and fairly narrow. The toe box is narrow. A Susanfriend who is a 10 wide (in foot and calf) recently bought men’s and they look wonderful. They are another vibe than the ones I suggest are sexy but they are, especially to cowboys🤪
Jane in London said…
I've always found the term 'coastal grandma' really rather dismal. It sounds washed-out and insipid to me. Plus, the only 2 coastal grandmas I know (one English, the other Irish) are supremely uninterested in their appearance and have their own unconscious and very individual styles. One even eschews all cosmetics and uses some sort of horse liniment on her dry lips in winter...

I love, love, cowboy boots. Sadly, as a British woman this is a style that does not work for me. I can wear Chelsea boots, paddock boots and riding boots with confidence and aplomb - but cowboy boots take me too far beyond my style map. Any type of reptile print boot is similarly a no-no for me.

I've only ever seen cowboys on one occasion, in the 90s, during an interminable wait for a flight in Cuiabá airport. Three gauchos walked through the (then) small and scruffy airport, with a rock star vibe. They wore fringed suede chaps over their jeans and - or course - beautiful, intricately-tooled cowboy boots with flashing silver spurs. I was... impressed.

Allison said…
I agree with the above comments re coastal grandma! Being a grandma and living (part time) on the Canadian East coast I’ve yet to see other grandma’s or older women in general who dress like saltines dabbed with mayo ( it is a great analogy though!) No tug boat Annie’s here…most wear jeans and sweaters and packable vests with sneakers. I am wearing my cashmere LE hoodie as I write. We are probably more Lands End & LLBean than Stella McCartney…because it’s practical as most grandmothers are, coastal or not.I do attend to my eyebrows though..
My mother would call the outfit modelled above ‘a bit of a dogs breakfast’ meaning it looks thoughtlessly put together, not effortlessly, but then again there appears to be no effort involved either. It’s not a look that would have appealed to meat at any stage of my life..student, party girl , professional, mother or grandmother.
Someday she will reach for elastic waist pants..they have come a long way!
I do love the JCrew boots but for my other, city life. That closet is very different.
LauraH said…
A bit late but had to say I love those crocheted pants, never seen anything like them, they look so comfortable yet fun and stylish. Agree that boots add a certain zip to whatever you're wearing. Mine need to be zip up though, the pull ons are too awkward to manage, bending down and balancing on one foot is too much of a struggle. I have a couple of pair from La Canadienne that I really enjoy.

The posts with the most