"You Will Make Heads Turn"/Contest Winners

The "Springing Into Joy" winners:

1. Suzette W.

2. Candace C.

3. Stacey L.

Suzette, Candace, and Stacey, please contact gwen@perfumniche.com to provide a mailing address.

Thanks to everyone who entered "Springing Into Joy"! If you would like to buy this bouquet of  5 heady decants ($CDN 21 plus shipping) , please visit perfumeniche.com or email Gwen@perfumeniche.com.

Three winners... but all of us can be head-turners. A fortune cookie predicts it!


Spring means rotating the closet, but how about one fresh, head-turning perk-up?

Pink winks

Anthurium lace earrings, $CDN 68 from This Ilk, a Montréal accessories company who make charming earrings from vintage lace and trims. (Also offered in a larger size.) And, This Ilk re-dyes or refurbishes your pieces should they need it; the fee quoted is $10. Now that's service!


Racy rain boots from Cougar, ready to prance in both wet and dry weather. Top: "Iggy" rubber rain boot in oyster, $CDN 130. Bottom: the wedge-soled "Firenze" ($CDN 90) shown in rose. 

 

Spring for it!

A luxe item you'll never regret: a cashmere collared cardigan, warmer than a sweater, lighter than a jacket. This style—a collar and pockets— is hard to find. From Poetry; colour shown is Pebble; also made in Aqua and Hedgerow. Price, £259 and a bouquet of tulips to Poetry for offering sizes in UK 6-22. 



I'll repeat my advice to lighten woven darks with openwork, so that navy and black look seasonal, not winter-heavy. While we're in luxeland, this Eric Bompard openwork sleeveless v-neck does it all: detail, quality, versatility. At $CDN $445, it better. But, oooh!



Sprigged 

Our friend Beth came to dinner recently wearing flowered tights, small blooms on black, her charming accessory for a sweater and skirt. I found a similar pair on Simons' site, and was intrigued by the "knee-high effect", because those 'stay-ups' never do. As of my writing this, they are on sale, too!  



By coincidence, last Saturday I walked behind this woman wearing two of my picks, Cougar "Firenze" rain boots in Brick, and flowered tights:



I have another cookie! (Isn't there always another cookie?) 




I interpret "make your move" as permission for a moderate spree.  April means hopping puddles on every corner; I equipped myself for my daily walks.

We'll see how the pale colours of my Cougar "Rave" waterproof slip-on sneakers hold up; they deliver my longed-for spring lift. (If you shop on Cougar's site, set up an account, and then put a pair in your basket to think over, you might get a 10% off code within a day; I did!)  At second-markdown these are non-returnable but luckily, they fit!



A small cotton bandanna provides just enough warmth and isn't damaged by showers. I bought a block-print bandanna on Etsy, from the seller bloomingprint, in Toronto; price, $CDN 38.



Last week, my head was turned by a gaggle of five-year-olds in charming handmade headbands (what look like pompoms are paper flowers), led by a teacher at far left, who holds a large frame drum. (Day care staff forbid strangers to photograph children, so I shot them from behind.)



I thought, There is a point in life where a flowered headband is fun! What happens to us? 

I ordered this  slouchy beanie as my grown-woman version. It's made in Sudbury, Ontario by Christine Robson, UpHereDesigns, in sizes from infant to adult large; many other patterns available. Price for adult small (there's a size chart on each style's page), $CDN 25.




All set until summer! Before you skip out the door, tell us about your own spring accessories, whether new or long-loved. 

Comments

Susan M said…
A circular leather cross body bag in a “head-turning” orange colour from Value Village to go with a last year Talbot's purchase of a pink, fuchsia and orange print skirt. Orange and pink are popping for me now.
Laura J said…
I pull out my lime green beret! Also, that collared cardigan!
Venasque said…
That cardigan is divine. Even the necklace is wonderful, did you pick that on purpose? I almost ordered it but decided on something more seasonally appropriate in cotton. I didn't know about Poetry before, but their stuff is right up my alley. Colours à la Ça va de soie, no?
Duchesse said…
Susan M: I've loved orange and pink ever since the late '60s when it was a mod palette (Mary Quant, Betsey Johnson). A vibrant combo in any era!

Laura J: Ah, berets, thanks for encouraging me. We no longer are required to protect our earlobes from frostbite.

Venasque: Yes, I did. (The pearl necklace is on the site: https://www.poetryfashion.co.uk/product-UY41/pearl-necklace.htm). Their colours are close to cvds, as you say; also, they offer some prints and stripes, and their size range is more extensive.
Jane in London said…
Oh, those rain boots are tantalising - as, indeed, are many of the things on the Cougar site. But not for shipping to the UK, sadly...

The tights made me remember that I used to love wearing lace print tights in the 80s - just the thing with a Benetton sweater dress and some Lady Di flats!

I saw that Falke has a new design out for Spring; sheer black with tiny flower sprigs and dots. Sounds odd, but it's actually quite sophisticated - rather spendy, but then Falke tights wash and wear forever.

For me, living in London, Spring means the puffy coats and cashmere blend scarves go into the cupboard and out come the beloved trench coats and the silk scarves. Red trench with red Hermes 'carre en boucles' today!
Duchesse said…
Jane in London: Perhaps you would like Hunter's 2023 rain boots, in interesting colours or in black with coloured soles: https://www.hunterboots.com/us/en_us/womens-rain-boots/womens-original-short-rain-boots/pink/8373

I once broke a toe because of my Falke heavy opaque tights. I slipped into a well in a floor when touring a home under construction and the tights did not budge, so held a toe immobilized. The pair you describe is here: https://www.falke.com/mt_en/p/sweet-sheer-20-den-women-tights/41289_3009/
LauraH said…
Love all your spring choices! Such a glorious season in the garden and time to switch to my spring green bag, colourful cashmere gloves and the brighter lighter scarves. Rain brings out my tall purple Kamik boots - made in Canada no less.
Thank you so much, feeling very lucky!
Suz from Vancouver
royleen said…
Duchesse, thank you once again. How does the sizing run on the Cougar slip-ons?
Duchesse said…
royleen: Slightly large, not a full size. I put in an extra pair of thin insoles. I am a B width.
C. said…
I once had a cookie containing the message "We live at the edge of the miraculous."
I saved it, and it must be true if I can actually win a prize! Thanks for a lovely treat--

Candace C.
Duchesse said…
C.: Unusually lyrical for a fortune cookie! I once had one that said, "Some cookies contain no fortunes", a kind of koan. It's a particular pleasure to win something and only happened to me once, was also perfume.
X said…
Thanks for your contribution to this blog

The posts with the most