Spring's here: Hand in glove

In today's windows, odds and ends for the spring season, which comes late here. Patrons cluster outside to drink coffee, but don't linger at curbside tables. Outerwear drops to the lightest possible layers that still provide warmth. It is a fool's errand to take one's warm coat to the cleaner, but we live in hope. Just as important is the attitude, wearing what you already have, with pleasure. This is what I love to see, a considered lean into joy. 

First I noticed her quirky hat that looks a bit like a vintage aviator's helmet. Then, there's a faux fur coat, probably vintage, and the red scarf, bangle, bag and boots. Montréal attitude par excellence; whether you would wear this or not, gotta love the verve!


 

Hands finally come out of heavy gloves; flashing a spring colour feels joyful. She had one of those on-trend "milk manis".

Lately I am choosing polishes that are breathable. The brands say these help keep nails strong, but the benefit I noticed is that I don't get those white marks that result from a long run of conventional polish, and are caused by dehydration. 


Left: Essie's "Treat, Love, Colour" line is the first hydrating polish that I bought; I immediately noticed that it wore well and came off easily. "In a Blush" gives that creamy "milk manicure". One coat is subtle, two present the full colour, and require neither base nor topcoat. 

Top right: NailBerry "Au Natural", another nail-nourishing milk tone; about $US 21 at violetgrey.com,

Bottom right: If you crave more intense colour, head for Nails Inc., a London line available at Sephora; they offer this unusual Terracotta. Not aggressive like bright orange, and surprisingly versatile. (The shade is on Sephora, but not on Nails Inc.'s site.)

If you prefer other brands, search for polishes called "hydrating", "porous", or "breathable".


Gloves, still welcome

Where I live, winter gloves (that do the job, anyway) look like boxing gloves, but in spring, a glove can do what its little heart desires: supply just a slip of warmth.

Brora cashmere wristwarmers are luscious; in this climate they sashay right through April, especially for walking on changeable days. This pair, about $CDN 135, is an interesting palette of ginger and lavender:


On Etsy, OceanShell sell good-looking alpaca fingerless gloves for about $40, in an array of colours. I haven't seen them, but the 5-star feedback is reassuring. Also available in cashmere for about the same price.


If you don't need much warmth, a perforated, unlined leather glove is chic—as the glovemakers Cornelia James say, "finery at its best".  Price, US $233.


The first flowerings

Irresistible snowdrop earrings to coax the season, and for their graceful shape; from Etsy seller Andrew O'Dell, price $CDN $75. Thinking of you, LauraH... you should see her garden!


Time to lighten the bag. This PVC Fossil "Elina" convertible backpack stopped me in my tracks, because how often, at this price, do I see a genuinely transitional bag? (It also comes in a paler-coloured version, here. Some models are made in two sizes.) Sale price, CDN $165.


 

Almost all set! Another ten or more degrees of warmth up here in the North for safe garden planting, but we women are ready to bloom now.




Comments

LauraH said…
Thanks for the shout out! As you can imagine I have been out in the garden a lot. Last week we had mini-summer with temps in the high 20s and even hitting 30C...wayyyy too hot too fast. Much cooler now thank goodness. Gives us all a chance to wear our fingerless gloves, scarves and spring bags. I'm looking into those alpaca gloves and the convertible backpack, great choices.
Jill Ann said…
Can confirm about the Essie Treat, Love, Colour polish. I don’t usually polish my fingernails but like to do my toes in the warm weather. A pedicure lasts at least 2 weeks, but I found major white spots on my nails when I took it off. I gave this Essie polish a try, & was pleasantly surprised to find no (or very minimal) white spots after removing the polish. And it goes on nicely too. Only complaint is that I can’t find it in any local stores, but I did find it online.
Laura J said…
Still a bit early to do much in the garden but the dahlia tubers should be arriving soon! Spring is very erratic in NS so there are several outdoor ensembles at the back door depending on weather. Choosing lighter brighter scarves, and in a fit of enthusiasm began switching out some summer clothes…I suppose I can always put a cashmere sweater under a linen shirt lol🙄
Had given up on polish for my toes but those options are tempting.
Jane in London said…
I, too, love Essie treat, love and colour. I use "minimally modest" which is a very flattering soft pink.

That and Dior Nail Glow (which gives a glossier finish) are the only nail products I use now, really. Both produce a healthy, cared-for look that I like.

Those pale gloves are lovely - in my fantasies, I wear pale kid skin gloves: in reality, such items would probably last me about 5 minutes before I got them horribly grubby ;)

avicennia said…
We’ve already had several days of 35+ C weather in the US southwest. The gloves I’m thinking about are light cotton driving gloves to protect my hands. My head and face are shaded in the car but hands and forearms take a beating from the sun. My grandmother used to have beautiful driving gloves — I’ve been looking but no luck yet.
Duchesse said…
avicennia: I am not sure whether you are looking for all-leather or not; if so, see these, which come in beautiful colours:https://leatherglovesonline.com/products/women-classic-leather-driving-gloves-blue?option1=6+-+XS&variant=32999155007627. Or you may be looking for the combination crochet and leather: https://cafeleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/crochet-driving-gloves-brown-front.webp
Those are pricey, a kind of specialty within a specialty glove.
You might be happy with cycling gloves, which leave the fingers free but have the leather palms to grasp the wheel. Check cycling stores.

Gloves do evoke memories of the owner; I still have my father's pigskin driving gloves.

LauraH: We had the same, suddenly shorts season, but now back to seasonal temps. A friend who came over last evening had a new shocking pink puffer jacket and I thought, ah, perfect for our climate: a bright spring colour but still warm.

Jill Ann: You noticed that too! It seems to have vanished, and I think it's time to hoard as I worry about it being discontinued. Quo are making a breathable polish but I liked the Essie shades better.

Laura J: I've seen young women in bra tops at 12C! Ah, youth. We have days were at same moment women are in parkas and big scarves and thin cotton jackets.

Jane in London: I'll have to look at the Dior product. As Jill Ann said, it's become hard to pick up the Essie product easily. Minimally Modest is a favourite too, though I liked See the Light, now d/c best.

Jay said…
Seems interesting. There's an embedded link to view. Don't bid by mistake.
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/apr/22/heidi-horten-world-most-valuable-private-jewellery-collection-display-london-christies-geneva?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
Duchesse said…
Jay: I was just thinking of a post on something like "Why Look at High Jewellery?", and you have supplied me with the perfect example. A glimpse into quite a life, and the spoils of war. I only wish at least some of the profits were directed toward addressing that history.

The posts with the most