June, Jubilation

The new month brims with the celebration of milestones: we hug graduates, beam at couples when we spot them leaving their wedding ceremony.

But when a country collectively has something to celebrate, that's extra fizzy. The Queen's Platinum Jubilee kicks off in June, and will be especially poignant given HRH Queen Elizabeth's fragility. You won't find many bunting-draped porches or community parades in Canada, though in general she is a respected figure, part of our history, too.

In today's windows, a selection of Jubilee items. I resist the term "souvenirs", which suggests throwaways that last only for a weekend. The celebration that begins in June will last for a year, with tributes throughout the UK, Commonwealth and around the world. 


Modest Mementos


Left: Vivat Regina tote by Halcyon Days, who produce high-quality china and enamel commemorative goods; price, $US 23.

Top right: Queen pin badge, £5, Victoria and Albert Museum Shop

Bottom right: Crown keyring, £5, Imperial War Museum Shop

 

Housewares


Clockwise:

1. Cath Kidston apron of lily of the valley on a pearl-print background, with a centre panel of a portrait of the young Queen: charm and whimsy. Price, $CDN 50.

2. An elegant bone china plate from Fortnum and Mason, with symbols of "the Queen's passions and pursuits"—racing pigeons, horses, a jewelled brooch, and lily of the valley from her wedding bouquet. Price, £45.

3. Queen's Crown cushion kit from Appletons at Liberty; price, £135

4. Make it official: The  British emblem is a striking modern design of one continuous line that deftly traces a 70 joined to her crown, in purple and platinum; the text's font is Perpetua, another nod to Queen Elizabeth II's record-breaking reign. Tankard by Etsy seller TaylerMadeProducts; price, $CDN 19 (plus shipping).

Alas, Canada has created an exceedingly stuffy emblem of its own. I much prefer the British one, even though the Canadian entry incorporates pearls.


Tie One On for Her Maj

Commemorative scarves abound. Many are in the official platinum-and-purple colour scheme for the event, but I'm drawn to a less-restricted palette.


Left: Floral Tribute long merino scarf with the National Flowers of Great Britain and a portrait of the Queen on a pink ground. By PJ Studio Accessories at Wolf and Badger; price, $CDN 173.

Liberty of London have produced two standouts in 45cm size, not too large to wear for summer.
Top right: "Hats Off" silk twill scarf by Liberty; $CDN 170. The drawing of hats the Queen has worn over her reign honours her style as well as substance. 
Bottom right: The other is a graceful, subtle design that incorporates historic images. Shown in green,  the design is simply called Platinum. Price, $CDN 170.

 

Celebratory Corgis

The corgi is the unofficial symbol of the Jubilee, scampering over Union Jacks and nipping at the heels of more sober iconography.


Left: Limited-edition Corgi and Crown cashmere wristwarmers, Brora. Price, £125, available June 5.

Top right: Plush "Betty" corgi; price, $US 32 at Selfridge's.

Bottom right: The Royal Family have released a winking corgi emoji—along with other spirited images—available for download via their Instagram account. We are amused.

I have posted my admiration for the Queen's style, but that goes further than her attire. Her unwavering adherence to the values of duty and fidelity—not just to a partner but to an entire people—is remarkable and rare.

As Tina Brown recently commented on NPR's "Morning Edition", "She simply has done her job with such judicious discretion that, in the end, people celebrate that she has been such an impeccable monarch."

 


Comments

Jane in London said…
Ah - a post on a topic very close to my heart, as I help prepare for our local street party at the end of the week. Everywhere in London seems to be draped in bunting and flags, and there is a general feel of celebration in the air (perhaps also due to the huge numbers of enthusiastic tourists that have arrived here).

The Queen's fragility is so very apparent now, and it saddens me to think that she will not be with us much longer. But nobody can take away the fact that she has applied herself with diligence and amazing stamina to the role over a staggering 70 years. I can't help but feel that her namesake, the wily and fiercely intelligent Elizabeth I, would strongly approve.

I'm conscious that people alive today will probably never see another Queen Regnant on the throne of my country; a male succession (should the establishment of the Monarchy survive) seems assured for the next few generations. So this Jubilee is something to be celebrated with affection.

I love the Liberty scarves, by the way!

Jane in London
Tom said…
I taught a course on QE1. So much material is readily available--her speeches, poems, prayers, letters, progresses etc. And of course her portraits, whereby her image was circulated to those high and low. Then there is the material written for her, often in hopes of sustaining-or receiving--a favored position, including controlling monopolies. And--as for QE2--there are many keepsakes, including a rubber duck and a tea cozy! It has been fascinating for me to compare/contrast the 2 Elizabeths. Interesting also to see how the issue of primogeniture is playing out in the next 2 generations. e, not Elizabeth!
Venasque said…
I have been saddened to see the Queen's decline since the death of Prince Phillip. It has been very noticeable in the last year, but certainly understandable. She has been a constant presence in my life, from her picture in every classroom I was ever in, to the visits here when my mum would take me to see her and we would stand on the side of the road while she whizzed by, always waving. Her duty to the Crown and Commonwealth has been unwavering. I do not think we shall see her like again, although I do think that Charles will make a very fine king. In my view he and his many ideas have always been underestimated. I look forward to seeing how his reign unfolds. And I am happy he has Camilla by his side - she has made him a different person. And very happy.

I would love to have those handwarmers - really cute. I loved seeing the photos of the six foot corgi statues that have been placed around the UK.
Wendy said…
Such a lovely group of items! I’m most tempted by the Fortnum and Mason plate, but in the midst of a major downsizing I think I’ll try to resist.
I don't understand why the Canadian Jubilee tribute didn't feature the famous diamond Maple Leaf brooch, which was originally her mother's.
Laura J said…
I’m with Wendy…these are lovely remembrances but it’s best for me to look but not buy…I’m wondering if there’s a charm for a bracelet?
Duchesse said…
Laura J: Nice silver one here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1224927887/silver-charm-to-commemorate-the-queens
Laura J said…
Duchesse: oooh thank you… I just might!

The posts with the most