Real people, talking with their clothes

On my mind, real people, eveyday clothes. Years ago, a woman I worked for  said, "I choose my clothes so I have to talk less." 

On a warm day last fall, I 'heard' some chatter from clothes. On the bus:


She was not pointing at me, but at a similarly-dressed friend. I was taken by the juxtaposition of her scarf and her jeans and cutaway sleeveless top, which she carried so well. First time I had seen this look, the long drift of scarf over the head, with the small top and cropped jeans, and I was fascinated. The butterscotch scarf lit the black and grey. 

On the same bus ride, almost next to the scarf-wearer, was this woman in a blue knit turban:


As I looked more closely, I saw how put-together she was: the patterns, the camel sweater picking up a single camel stripe in the skirt, the matching black bag and gleaming loafers. Highly original, almost eccentric, but she also looked quite proper.

On the street, a schoolgirl in an exuberant outfit: braids piled into a bun, dramatic dangles, black shadow-plaid jacket, pink pleats, big red pack (plus small duffle as well, what's in there?) and... legwarmers for no other reason than they're cute.


Here's how this man, whom I remember as Sebastian, came to pose so charmingly: I asked him, because in my student days, I attended Marshall McLuhan's lecture series when he was a visiting professor. Sebastien could hardly believe that he met a still-breathing person who had that experience; he is a McLuhan fanatic. 

His wife bought him the t-shirt, along with a Baudrillard one. We stood in the sun chatting about culture and media while she bought coffees in a café.  

His goodwill is palpable.

Those four crossed my path within an hour, which is why I love my adopted city so: the parade of humanity.

The photo below is from earlier in the fall, when I visited my friend K. in Québec City. From my apartment above a pub, I spotted two women on its terrasse. First, I saw the ochre sweater on the chair, which I liked with the black top and dotted skirt; then I admired her friend's blouse with its translucent fans and blue skirt, so fresh.

I noticed their rapport, their pleasure in sharing an apèro. How I have missed these scenes, and long for them to return.


These persons are speaking with their clothes: this is me, I am here. No one has the latest status thing, the rote recitation. 

Another friend, Michaela, said that when she looked at women on the street without competition, they could sense it. I'm sure we've all had, at some point, one of those up-and-down assessments. But i am not interested in any kind of measurement; I look at them not to emulate but to enjoy, not to tote up what they spent but what they say. 



Comments

Teresa Toner said…
I loved this—your writing is lovely and the photos are wonderful.
Laura J said…
This really cheered me today! We’re having lashings of rain today and this delightful post made my morning
Jane in London said…
Yes! Very nicely put, Duchesse. I, too, love to (benignly) observe people and their chosen outfits: as you say, they can speak volumes in a subtle way.

A while ago I sat opposite a young dark-haired woman on the Tube. She was engrossed in her phone but I was looking at her ankle boots, which were a chic style in an unusual pale grey coloured leather.

You can imagine how thrilled I was when the young woman eventually looked up, and I saw that she had pale grey eyes which exactly matched the colour of her boots! Such an inspired pairing.

Jane in London
royleen said…
Lovely writing! Brought a smile to my face, thank you.
royleen said…
Lovely writing! Brought a smile to my face, thank you.
Jay said…
Butterscotch, what a lovely description
Thank you - as I sit here in quasi isolation, I enjoy your gentle observation of the urban world around you. Thank you for sharing.
Leslie M said…
You delightfully destroy the adage that others don’t pay attention to you as much as you think. 😉
Allison said…
Always when I am just about done with style blogs…an email from the Passage comes through to show me that all is not lost! Your observations are so true and non judgemental. I love how you describe the women on the bus and found so much to enjoy in how they had dressed themselves! Your description made me want to pull up a chair and enjoy an apèro with the two women in Québec City and drink a café with the adorable Sébastien! That is what I love about Montréal, people are not afraid to come up and comment on clothing or an accessory. I was walking through downtown once with an extraordinary but not expensive bag when I was stopped by two young men who complimented me on it and later an older woman stopped to comment (it was from India and was covered with beaded embroidery.)
Thank you for pointing out how much pleasure there is to be found in those we share this earth with. Right now, in Ottawa..aww me! Not an easy thing to do.
Laura J said…
Allison, I so agree! Passage is the only fashion blog I follow…all the others have been left by the wayside over the past years.
materfamilias said…
I love this post so much! You have such an eye for style, far beyond the retail marketing of fashion, and the way you bring it to your stylishly diverse city is inspiring. Plus it's never just "snap and post, snap and post" with you, but the way you analyze what pleases you and then articulate your analysis so clearly (and entertainingly!). Thank you!
Yes, so many sites are just selling stuff - not that there is anything wrong with selling, but the sellers should be honest - or formulaic approaches such as "having one's colours done" - rather than learning about colour, texture and other aesthetic considerations.

Allison, I have friends and family in Gatineau and Ottawa and they are far beyond fed up. I'm sure civil servants get some type of pay or compensation, but think of all the workers at the Rideau Centre and other downtown locations...
Bytowner said…
Duchesse I have been a reader for about a year, and I'm glad I found it. I just loved this post.It is beautifully written. I also love to watch people and how they present themselves, and especially on the bus! The lady with the turban is lovely. I can't wait to get back to your beautiful city for a visit in the next few months. I am not far, in Ottawa- not the happiest of places at the moment, but this will pass I suppose. Thank you for this lovely post.
Maryam Ijaz said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

The posts with the most