Mr. Red Sweater

I was recently at my ophthalmologist's to be measured for lens replacement surgery. In the busy waiting room, a flat-screen showed notables being vaccinated against Covid. As close to me as permitted, a middle-aged man in a red sweater sat waiting too, with his mask bunched below his mouth. 

I asked him to please pull it up over his nose. His first comment was, "I see you're one of those people who have been brainwashed", and devolved from there. The pandemic was a hoax, he told me; I was "paranoid", "an idiot", "a sheep". I told him that yes, I may be paranoid (someone who insults you doesn't expect you to agree) and said wearing a mask isn't comfortable, but the sign on the office door notified all who enter that they must wear one, properly. He grudgingly pulled it up; I thanked him.

After a half-hour of tests and measurements with the doctor's staff, I returned to the waiting room where Mr. Red Sweater sat, this time addressing all within earshot in Italian. (The Italian-speaking doctor is popular with patients from that community.)  Three women in at least their late seventies listened as he told them, "Questo vaccino vi ucciderà!" I didn't need any Italian to understand his assertion. He would not meet my eyes.

Finally, I was in front of Dr. D. He said, "First, I want to thank you for telling that guy to pull up his mask." I said, "Oh, so you heard about it?" He said, "Yes, and then he came in here and started on me."

I wish I had suggested to Dr. D. that he ask his receptionist to spot-check and, if she felt uncomfortable with speaking to a patient, to get him in there. I did say, "Eighty-five percent of the patients out there today are over age 70. Because they sit there for a good while, this man could create consequences for them."

I've been around non-compliant, even defiant, persons over the last nine months, and I've always been able to step away, cross the street, wait it out. But Mr. Red Sweater got to me, because he was using a captive audience as an opportunity to spew misinformation.

Later that day, my sister-in-law, Sylvie, called to report on her family's subdued holiday, and mentioned that our niece Josée, a respiratory therapist, holds the hands of dying Covid patients, because loved ones cannot be with them. Though a heartbreaking task, she does not want anyone to die alone. I thought of Jo, so young to bear this burden, and her humanity in the face of exhaustion.

Listening to that account, I wanted one thing: to take Mr. Red Sweater to a dying patient's bed and have him relieve Josée right through to the end. Would he still maintain this disease is a hoax?



Comments

Laura J said…
Grrrrrr
Anger, frustration, sadness..all at once.
Bunny said…
I would predict that he would hold his opinion, not the dying man's hand. My sister, a medical professional who specialty is high risk pregnancy and currently works with covid mothers ready for delivery, has told me of near death people insisting its the flu and that covid is a hoax. In our country we have thousands who are brainwashed and will believe anything their cult leader utters. It is just remarkable. I applaud you, Duchesse for taking your stand. Thank you. Rather ironic he had a red sweater on and not a blue one.
LauraH said…
Covidiots are everywhere. In order to go outside my immediate neighbourhood, I use public transit. Of course, I plan my travels for the least busy times of day and limit my use to once or twice a week. If I don't feel safe I can get off, go to another subway car, etc. It never fails that there are one or two people who are not masked or are wearing their mask under their nose. Not wearing a mask or wearing it improperly is an act of aggression, not to mention stupidity and irresponsibility so I do not confront these people. In other situations, like you, I have politely asked people to pull up their mask. They never apologize or appear in any way abashed. Perhaps we could offer these people a waiver so they can decline medical treatment if they get sick.. Why should our medical workers die to save them. If I was a medical worker or had one in my family I would be raging....even more than I am already!
Anonymous said…
I would suggest the doctor is also to blame for having a busy waiting room full of older patients during a pandemic. My dentist's office has no more than two allowed waiting and a full time person doing nothing but cleaning and wiping every chair and door handle. He should book fewer appointments and not keep people waiting. We're so used to grovelling for health care in Canada that we don't notice the obvious.
Beth said…
Totally with you on this, and thank you for speaking up to both patient and doctor. I agree that waiting rooms should not be that full, as well. That man should have been asked to leave immediately by the receptionist or the doctor.
Kamchick said…
This is such a bad situation to be in...in a doctor's office, it is unlikely that you can give yourself much physical distance. That office, in my opinion, should have a strict policy. The receptionist and doctor are responsible for insisting that the gentleman properly wear his mask or leave the office. Thems the rules!!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for speaking up to that man. Oh for sure a hoax - can't believe people are so stupid to even think that - make a comment re that.

Reception too should have spoken to him.

Continue to take precautions - our health is in our own hands.

Happy New Year.
Sue Nations said…
Thank you! Your speaking up protects us all.
Jane in London said…
Well done for standing your ground! Covidiots abound, and seem to be our modern equivalent of flat-earthers... But I do feel your eye doctor put you in a very difficult position by allowing a busy waiting room.

My experience at doctor, dentist and optician is that appointments are strictly scheduled so that there are no more than 2 patients at large in the waiting room at a time.

The situation is not good here in London, because of the virus mutation, but at least we seem to be getting ahead with vaccinations. Uptake is very good, helped by the fact that The Queen has let it be known that she's had the jab and (perhaps more importantly) Dame Joan Collins, all-round National Treasure, has put a video on Insta of herself being vaccinated!

Jane in London
Anonymous said…
First off, good for you for asking Mr. Red Sweater to abide by the rules. Too many people do not and think it is all a joke.

My daughter is a community nurse and has lost numerous patients (all older) to Covid 19. My best friends father just passed last week from Covid in hospital. Sadly his wife and daughter had to video chat a goodbye since they also got Covid from him (going in and out of the hospital). Very very sad times we are in now and the more people that don't comply, the longer and longer we have to live like this and more and more people will die from "this hoax"!

I am waiting to get the vaccine, yes, I will be getting in once it roles out. Thankfully I am not in a high risk group, but will probably not be eligible until much later in the year. I have done and will definately keep following the rules to try and keep Covid under control.

Judy in Newcastle, Ontario
JoJo said…
These folk are often referred to in the states as "Maskholes". My daughter (a nurse) and her husband were gifted with Covid for the holidays. Our family was sick with fear until it proved that they both had mild cases and recovered quickly. My husband and I (over 65 and hubby with juvenile diabetes) will get our first vaccine on 1/23 in Northern California and I feel a great weight lifting. I have no patience with the Covid-denier maskholes. Apologies if I offend anyone. Having unloaded that, your Dentist should have people wait in their cars until he is ready to see them. This is a common practice where I live. Cheers for sharing your experience and thanks for the support.
JoJo said…
I didn't mean to be "unknown". My name is Jo Pomeroy and I live in Los Altos, CA.
I commented about the popularity of the name "maskholes" and my beloved daughter and son-in-law having Covid over the holidays.
Duchesse said…
Jo: Thank you so much for providing a mane, and for anyone, initials or a nom de Internet will do just fine. I am relieved to hear of both your kids' recoveries and your impending vaccine. You are the first reader to report a date for a jab! The term "maskhole", is how I felt about him.

BTW, the dr. is an ophthalmologist, not a DDS. I mention this because as you would expect, he treats many old to very old persons, all the more reason for Mr. to be masked.

JoJo said…
Ha ha! I don't know where I came up with DDS! I wish everyone the best in these uncertain times. Here in the USA we are praying for a peaceful day tomorrow.

The posts with the most