New year, new habits, new posting schedule

Happy 2021, honeybunches, and I wish you lavish supplies of verve and vigour as you traverse the coming year.  

From this point on, the Passage opens every Tuesday.  Given the times, that's more manageable for me.

In December, I mistakenly published a 2020 assessment of what I bought—and now that post has vanished, making a strange year even stranger.  Oh well. Here's the summary collage; if you commented, I didn't see those, and would appreciate you re-posting your remarks if you're willing.


The earrings and running shoes were bought retail; the rest was consignment or thrift bought before the March lockdown— but the collage is not the full story, because I also ordered a second pair of Icebug snow boots, running tops, yoga pants, exercise tees, athletic socks and sports bras. I called it The Year of Gear and gave myself a grade of somewhere around a B, but it was very hard to apply the usual criteria of utility and joy of use.

The striking change was not what I bought, but how I shopped, barely stepping into a store. Accompanying a friend or visitor who wanted to visit Montréal boutiques, or checking out a season's new stock— off limits. I'd sooner walk through a zoo's reptile house than a department store, even when we could. Several acquaintances bought dresses, offering various rationales but saying in the same breath, "I have nowhere to wear these".  Perhaps they were a symbol of hope.

I am now preoccupied with the thought: What will happen when things make a halting return to life?  Will women pitch a pile of sweats, or will we experience the equivalent of John F. Kennedy's rejection of hats, which led men who once wore them daily to abandon their fedoras for good?

For the past two weeks, my inbox has been stuffed with sixty percent reductions on the blazers and trousers that tell the depressing story that manufacturers were caught with a vast inventory on one wanted, at all price points.

Photo: Simons


Luxury has its sleek back against the wall: want a pair of Lavin boots? The price drop (at Montréal's Simons), was as vertiginous as the heels.

My predictions:


Nanushka shirt, Netaporter

1. Women will wear real clothes again, if only to celebrate that they are out of the house; however,  you will see the loungewear look on the street, worn by those who have grown accustomed and like the ease. (Maybe more than they should?)



Nars Oil-infused Lip Tint, Sephora


2. Makeup sales will soar as women reacquaint themselves with their faces below their eyes, but heels will never regain market share. (The day I receive vaccine, I'm celebrating by ordering this Nars lip tint.)


Tiny perfect closet

4. Smaller wardrobes? I'm skeptical. Once back on display, the magnetic pull to consume will assert itself. But I predict women will be ordering more globally, having built confidence in new sources.


Cos tiered midi shirt dress

5. Dresses, as those women presciently figured out, will be like tulips, the sign of blooming. We can wear our elastic-waists and oversized tees to dash out for the groceries, but when wecan hold hands across a table and weddings move off Zoom, joggers are not going to cut it.

As with any Black Swan event, all sorts of unanticipated changes roll in. What do you think we'll see?

Let's watch as the world takes teetering steps, like an eager toddler, and begin this new year with tolerance for the fits and starts, grateful we are here to see it happen. 







  

Comments

Cathy said…
I do agree with you that there will be less tolerance of high heels as my experience is that when women ditch them for any length of time, it is difficult to go back. I also think we will see a melding of athletic and tailored clothes, that is, more tailored items using athletic-like, stretch fabrics. Because, again, we will want the comfort but also a more professional look.
Mardel said…
I wondered what happened to that post. I bought a sweatshirt, a new pair of sneakers, and a black turtleneck. a couple of other things. I think it will be interesting to see what happens next, once we are able to go out again. I still wonder how telling the long term will be. A lip gloss, a celebration of being able to wear it and be seen, sounds wonderful.
Laura J said…
Shopping this year was mostly jewelry! Ah pearls! In addition, some gear(winter boots, sneakers, wind proof pants for dog walking). Also bought yarn and embroidery items...the former for making accessories the latter for relaxing. Will women who have been in Glerups and Birkenstock’s even be able to walk in heels again?. I agree with Cathy that office workers will want comfort but also a professional look
Barb said…
Happy New Year! So glad to see that you will continue your blog as we journey into these uncertain times. I love the idea of celebrating getting the vaccine with the purchase of the lip gloss - I just may copy you. I bought new boots, a down vest, and a couple of dressier, but casual, knitted jackets. My shopping was all online. I am looking forward to a visit to my salon for a much-needed hair styling when things are safe again. Barb
Jane in London said…
Happy new year, Duchesse. Lovely to see you back.

I have found it difficult to drum up enthusiasm this year for clothes buying, but I did get (online) two nice pieces - black ankle length swishy plissé wide leg trousers, and black 7/8 pleat front crepe culottes.

Both work well with just about every top I own, and both are washable so big tick there!

I'm seriously considering a 'no clothes buying year' this year, with the aim of encouraging myself to be more imaginative and disciplined in getting the most from my wardrobe. We shall see whether that idea endures once I'm vaccinated and the shops open up again...

Love that lip tint!

Jane in London
Duchesse said…
Cathy: Except for state occasions, I stopped wearing heels at around age 38, and never regretted it. I often think of French deisgner Claudie Pierlot, who said, "I had to choose between my smile and my heels.

mardel: I cannot tell you where that went! What you bought sounds very 'you' and with your sewing and knitting skills, you can easily ramp up should you ever wish to do so.

Laura J: Pearls and Glerups, now there is an image! Though mine live well with sweaters and jeans, I do have to wear something other than running shoes or they just look odd to me. But it's worth it ;)

Barb: Those knitted jackets are just terrific, comfortable yet polished. We expect more stringent measures tomorrow, so my upcoming salon appointment will not happen. (Tiny one-stylist shop.) Here I go again with the scissors.

Jane in London: Those are very smart buys in every sense of the word. Maybe we should do a July check in to see how everyone is faring. I sometimes force myself to think of 'pre' clothing; nine months has brought nostalgia.


LauraH said…
Lovely to see your first post of the year. The Passage will be a very welcome weekly treat!

I think you already know what I bought this year - the long sleeved print jerseys from Katrin LeBlond (somehow I bought another one on Boxing Day:-)) The beautiful prints will be so welcome once we are out of cashmere. Other than some Allbirds socks, which I am also very happy with, that was about it for clothes. This seemed to be a year for kitchen ware and other house-related buying instead. And you're so right - it was all online, mostly from small local stores which were doing pick up.

It will be interesting to see how permanent some of our shopping changes turn out to be. I'm sure there will be many surprises.
Anonymous said…
You might hold off on that lip tint. The vaccine protects you, but there's no evidence that it prevents you from passing on Covid you've been exposed to. Responsible people will be wearing masks for a long time to come.
J-in-Wales said…
Despite being a long-time reader, this is my first comment on your wonderful blog.
Oddly, 2020 was the year I relearned how to walk in heels!
A year ago, my husband and I started Argentine tango lessons, and with a mix of home practice, online videos and the occasional covid-safe private lesson, it has remained one of our solaces throughout the past year.
I bought my practice heels last January and can just about dance backwards in them now without turning an ankle. I am very much looking forward to buying a spangly pair as soon as social dancing returns to the agenda.
J
Duchesse said…
Anon@11:05: I will wear the lippe in my home, where even if we are the only persons present,t Le Duc will like it. It would symbolize a positive movement, no a "back to normal" stage. I agree we will need our masks for a good long time, and I'll wear mine.
BTW next time please sign your username or whatever you like. I have long declined to publish anonymous comments.

J-in-Wales: Tango shoes are a whole other use of the heel, have a wonderful time dancing! Here, in normal times a tango club dances under a gazebo across the street from my building every Thursday evening in summer. Some wear those spangly heels and floaty dresses, some wear sneakers and shorts.

LauaraH: Did you see Katrin's recent newsletter asking for feedback? She seems to be heading toward seloing more of her own designs and has discontinued selling Ivko.

The posts with the most