Summer shopping: craft shows

It's June, when outdoor art and craft shows begin to sprout like chanterelles.

These venues support local (or regional) makers; the goods are handmade—maybe even of recycled materials. I'll go to a craft show any day over a mall filled with mass brands.

The dark side is a wearying sameness, and a syndrome I call Best of the Bunch, a consumption behaviour that kicks in: whose pots, scarves or leather goods are best? If you can assess and walk away, good for you; I too often buy the Best of the Bunch item even when I don't need it.

Clothes are tricky. At craft shows, they sort into two types: the first is "wearable art" and though it can look graceful fluttering from a booth, when I try to integrate it into my real-life wardrobe, it's a mistake—and there are no returns. The second type is "wearable yurt", which makes me look like an 18th century homesteader, because there is no discernible tailoring.

I've bought goods that I'd have sailed by in another setting: a Guatemalan-fabric jacket that Le Duc said made me look like a head shop pouf; a woven straw bag that shredded any top it brushed against; a beaded bracelet that broke in the box.

At foreign markets, I'm even more prone to Best of Bunching.

In Paris last spring, I met up with a Montréal friend, Lynne, who wanted to visit the Bastille Sunday market to buy linen clothes.

Before I knew it, I was in an inadequately-curtained "dressing room" deciding between blue or brown. The dresses were rectangles of rather scratchy linen; Lynne looked terrific in hers, but I didn't wear them well. I had my purse open before I realized that.

A little advice: Compare the item you are considering against your very favourite thing in the same category, that you already own. Is that cute cotton sun hat as sprightly as your old one, which does need replacing?

If so, buy and enjoy! I'm all for supporting local artisans and will pay extra for locally-made plum jam or the teddy bear made from recycled fabric. This is community.

Some 'local markets' such as the Bastille sell goods made elsewhere (the linen dresses were made in Poland) or even Chinese imports. Oh yes, the Chinese are copying Provençal prints and cranking out napery. Other venues are careful to admit only local or regional producers.

Craft shows can still offer magical discoveries.

In Toronto, I met the unforgettable artist En Burk, who made exquisite boxes and hand-bound books from paper wasps' nests that she foraged from fallen nests in the city's parks.

It was at one of these, too that I found a handsome leather and canvas bag I carried for a decade. The ratio of tat to treasures seems to have increased, but it's always worth a look.

So I'll head back to the craft markets, art shows and fairs—but remind myself that though an item may be handmade, that doesn't necessarily make it right for me.






Comments

There are also new shops (you know the ones hereabouts) with a mix of vintage, pseudo-vintage and rather twee cute little pins and accessories. I have seen some very high-quality garments there, but none was exactly perfect.

Too bad about the ill-fitting Guatemalan jacket. Those handloomed fabrics are so beautiful. A friend who lives in Oaxaca says there are higher-quality garments made in those fabrics in Guatemala and southern Mexico. I also know people who worked for an NGO there who had lovely garments made for their lofty frames (Guatemalan Mayan people are usually very small; genetics but also a legacy of hunger - their Mexican cousins are much taller). I'd love a jacket or other garment in that fabric - to be worn against plain clothing.
Laura J said…
This post made me smile—it is so easy on a lovely sunny day to be lured into the”craft fair” look even those of us staunchly severe classic types. I STILL gaze at hand painted silk scarves!! They flutter so delightfully in the breeze in colours I would never wear! Also need to be on guard around Boho jewelry which would never be worn again.
LauraH said…
This post put a big smile on my face:-) I too love craft shows, art fairs, etc. and have bought my share of clunkers - badly made earrings I bought in Washington because I love the colour - although I can't top the bracelet that broke in the box!! On the other hand I have some lovely things bought at various shows and the right find can be a great souvenir, such as two beaded bracelets I bought in Chicago. Pottery is a weakness, I could buy a whole lot of that. My rule is if something new comes in the door, something old has to leave.
Duchesse said…
lagatta: I have seen some made a lot better than that one, and it was not cheap.

Laura J:: I see hand-painted silk at every craft show so they must sell. But I do like some of the silks dyed with natural dyes, subtle and in mysterious non-colours. Scarves are a big crush for me.

Laurah: You helped me realize I am swayed by the personality of the artist and especially if young, I want to support them. Pottery is another temptation but now I can't haul it home!

Here is another market nearby https://www.mamtl.ca/2019, along with the one at Centre Lajeunesse. There are also craft markets at the park just south of the railway viaduct, in Mile-End east. Yes, the items can be hipster, or twee.

I'm trying not to acquire any more dishes or other pottery.
Duchesse said…
lagatta: The Mile End one is just as you say. And imo overpriced.
Indeed. I've never bought anything there.

The posts with the most