Style: One flashy, fabulous coat

As described in my most-confessional post, in the past I sometimes wasted money because of luxe purchases like this silk Hermès sweater (and I bought a few of them, dammit), overly dressy for work, risky around kids, and a fortune to dry clean.

An expensive mistake, ca. 1990

I was hoping to subvert a miasma of mumsyness, but they languished in their garment bags; I finally donated them to a charity auction. Abashed, I let a reflexive practicality creep in. 

Retirement, though, is entirely different than the '90s: It's time to wear what I want; the business clothes are long gone and my sons no longer greet me with peanut-buttered fingers. I'm ready for more rock in my roll. But what would that be?

And then...

I was at Fourrures Ajamian recently with my stylish friend Natasha to drop off our elderly, restyled furs for winter storage. We thought it would be a quick errand, but Jacqueline, the engaging third-generation owner of her family business, has a beguiling assortment one-of-a-kind, insouciant coats made by her salon, so we spent a merry hour trying them on and learning about her family history in the trade. (We wear only recycled fur; Fourrures Ajamian dyes, retextures and even paints recycled fur and leather.)

I wish I had shot Natasha in this apple green sheared and long-haired raccoon coat, utterly show-stopping. 

A
Apple green glam

This shot from their web site evokes the look called "Mob Wife", but when Natasha, in faded jeans, sneakers and plain top threw it on, she channeled the "Almost Famous" vibe evoked by Penny Lane's definitely famous coat. (Over twenty years later, it is still copied.)

  I'm with the band: Kate Hudson as Penny Lane

I thought, "I sure don't look like that in my black puffer!" and bowed before its transformative power. If it had been my size, I would have been talking layaway with my new friend Jacqueline. This would be my cross held in front of the vampire of elder-frumpiness. 

Maybe that coat is wild as a band's after-party, but every closet needs one that rocks the boat, baby. From left to right, coats and jackets that raise the volume, each succeeding one in the window brings more star power. All prices in $CDN except the last one.


Left: Silk/wool tweed shirt coat, $850 at Claudette Floyd. Achieves its distinct difference by the bold check and interesting sleeves; an entrée into the interesting-coat club.

Centre: "Jo" faux-snakeskin trench by L'Academie; $483 on Revolve. At the luxury level, check out the red leather Bottega Veneta model, but I like "Jo" for the price.

Top right: J. Crew metallic leather jacket, $956 (but may be s/o, it's flying.) If dedicated to neutrals, this kicks grey to the front row. 

Bottom right: Stand pink and red faux-fur moto, $US 255 on The Outnet. Should come with a backstage pass in the pocket.  

Tip for finding a standout coat: Check secondhand; a colour too intense to wear as an outfit can work beautifully as outerwear. Some women divest a special coat if there's a ravelled hem or torn lining; a tailor can remedy that.  


Shown, Stand Studio leopard fake fur jacket on Poshmark, $350. 

My mother said a coat is the most important thing you buy, because it's the first and last thing people see. It announces you, whether with a murmur or a drumroll. 

Natasha threw on that astonishing Ajamian number, lifted her chin—and owned it. I was going to write, First, bring the attitude to wear it—but the inverse is true too: put it on and its attitude wraps around you. 

  



 




Comments

Tom said…
I could write a long essay on my family's relationship to fur. My immigrant grandfather started a business in his teens buying scraps from furriers--to be turned into collars and cuffs and muffs. The last time I saw him--late 90s, his and the 20th century's--he was gluing little mustaches and eyebrows on those gag Groucho Marx glasses/noses.

You can get a Penny Lane look with big collars--real or faux, often seen used. I got a second hand one--Mongolian lamb. I have not put it to use yet.

Of course, i do not need a fur coat given my life in a hot climate. And they are so heavy! Somewhere, my mother's verrrry expensive mink resides....e
Duchesse said…
eva: I do not see a practical use for fur in your climate. I really like the exuberant “fantasy” end of the synthetics. In Canada’s arctic and (where I live) sub-arctic winters, animal skins have historically ben valued for warmth and durability, as well as trade goods. If your mother’s mink still lives as a coat, how good it looks will depend on maintenance. Kind of like us ;)
Bunny said…
"This would be my cross held in front of the vampire of elder-frumpiness." Best sentence I've read in a long time!

The posts with the most