Trop Belle...et belle juste ce qu'il faut

You may recall my post on buying something special and expensive, then not wearing it much— the Trop Belle syndrome. Last fall I donated a trove of such pieces to a charity "couture vintage" sale.

One of my Hermès silk shirts was featured on show's mailer, (left) and was then purchased by my chic friend Jude, for her daughter, who lives in NYC (right). Who wore it best? The gorgeous C.; like mother, like daughter.



But sometimes... "belle" is not "trop"!

Leslie M. commented on a post I wrote eight years ago, which featured a Lafayette148 skirt.

She said,
"... that tweed Lafayette148 skirt with the dangly bits and sequins was the first item that I fell for from your blog. (Not pearls– that came later.) I searched long and hard to find it in my size and on sale, but I did it. It is glorious and one of my best and most notable purchases. 

Not only is it beautiful, it makes a great swishing noise when I walk. It is still in my closet and I wear it at least once every year."

Leslie is much wiser than I was: she wears and enjoys her special piece. That need not be often—but it goes out and has fun, and will for many years to come.  

Juste ce qu'il faut

In the window today, standout clothes— to buy on sale now or use for reference while you build the 2020 piggy bank.

In other words, these pieces are juste ce qu'il faut: as beautiful as it needs to be, not so elevated that they'll languish in a garment bag.

The luxury is usually underscored by elevated materials: silks, cashmere, leather and the finest of cottons and linens.

The examples below may sell out fast, because other women practice Leslie's watch-and-wait strategy, but they are good for ideas.


From left, clockwise:
1. Kirin Peggy Gou colourblock leather coat (limited sizes); sale price at Selfridge's, $US 680. Yes, those white sides, but I'd buy sone delicate leather cleaner and spring for it.
2. Acne Studio "Lorique" leather vest (small sizes only); sale price at Netaporter $US 950
3. Pringle argyle patchwork jumper; sale price at Netaporter $US 1, 087


The 2020 Fabulous Skirt

Should you prefer  a showstopper of a skirt, as Leslie did, my nomination this year is from Temperley London. The Wendy Sequin Skirt is $595 on sale; it's a midi-length a-line with pailettes in gold, garnet, amethyst and (of course) champagne, on black tulle.


The "Wendy" is described as "cocktail" attire but I'd also like it for dressy-casual like a dinner with friends, with an ankle boot, and how about a fine-knit sweater?

This is a big spend even on sale, but when I see how long Leslie's loved her skirt, I realize some things are worth it... if then, like Leslie, you wear them!


Comments

Jen Lawrence said…
I have an Oscar de la Renta skirt that I don't wear much but love it when I do. It's as lovely on the inside as on the outside and reminds me that fashion is truly art. A few special pieces are lovely.
Jane said…
Mine is a silk blouse. For some reason I rarely wear it, but it is beautiful and gives me pleasure just to look at it hanging there. -Lily
Leslie M said…
Glad to see the skirt has made another appearance!
Lovely additions to today’s post, as well. That leather coat is a bargain at the posted price. Surely, someone can make good use of it and it will look fresh and current for years.
The Hermès blouse is beautiful on the new owner. A charity sale is a great option for those items languishing in a closet. Not something my skirt will see for a while! You remain a favored and trusted reference for my personal adornment; clothing and pearls, of course. 😉
LauraH said…
Of course I had to check the original post and all the clothes you featured would look great today. You have the eye!
Jean Shaw said…
That's a beautiful shirt--and I can see why it caught your eye. I'm sure the silk is just luscious ... and if I had bought it, I never would have worn it! Glad it all worked out in the end.
materfamilias said…
I have a mid-length leather skirt from Jason Wu’s Grey line, bought on sale at Nordstrom’s a few years ago. Interesting detail down the side front (long zipper with two-inch unseamed seam allowance flapping down that length. Can be dressed up or down. Also a Robert Rodriguez skirt, cummerbund-like waist, below-knee length, pleated fullness, pockets, rich blue, silk-like synthetic taffeta, embroidered extravagantly, brocade effect. I probably wear it five or six times a year (for about ten years now, and love it every time
And a below-knee black velvet (velour, more properly—there’s stretch) asymmetrical dress by Linda Lundstrom. Also a good decade or more and worn 1 or 2 times a year.
Thank you for the term, “belle juste qu’il faut.” Perfect!
Duchesse said…
materfamilias: I remember each of those items thanks to your long, generous history of blogging, and it is heartening to me that you continue to enjoy them!

Jean Shaw: Those shirts were the same weight as Hermès' silk twill scarves, so substantial. But I still wear the scarves and only wore the shirts a handful of times. Also at times some of them were too tight, but that is never the problem with a scarf ;)

LauraH: Thanks; I have transferred that eye to more secondhand things than when I wrote that post, for environmental reasons but also for the fun of finding something special.

Leslie M: C. lives in NYC (her mother is in Toronto, where the sale was held), so I am sure she'll wear it. I would love that leather coat, so still can have my heart stolen.

Lily: You can take pleasure from something "just hanging there", I asked myself if I could do that... and think I could if I thought I would wear it in the current year— but sensed that wearing those shirts in my current life would feel forced. I think that's the difference.

Jen Lawrence: And there will be no more of his pieces, so you have fashion history!

The posts with the most