For Lynn: Pairing pearls with jeans

Lynn  commented.
"I'm trying to wear my jewelry more instead of saving it for "good" but not sure how to pair jeans with pearls or antique jade. Suggestions are welcome!"

She doesn't say what pearls she owns; the more casual varieties (baroques, keshis, a pearl 'chain', sticks, coins, mixed varieties) all work with jeans.

If she has round whites, she could wear them as is with a simple shirt, or layer. For ideas, see "Un-prissing your pearls", Part One and Part Two.

Here's six days of me in pearls and black or dark-wash blue jeans, just whatever I was wearing for the day.

All the pearls are from Kojima Company except some in the bottom left necklace, bought at a Chicago jewellery show by a friend.


Large photo: Big CFW baroque flameballs; marinière.  First pearls I bought from Kojima 12 years ago and I was a goner.

Clockwise from top right:
2. Fancy-coloured baroque Tahitians; cotton v-neck
3. Purple, copper and mauve CFW keshi rope; linen v-neck
4. Vintage CFW with akoya vintage clasp; light cotton turtleneck
5. Baroque South Seas and a chain; denim shirt
6. Mixed-pearl rope: 21-year-old CFW 10mm rounds restyled by Kojima with additional 3mm akoyas and several bronze 10mm CFWs, and a pendant with a gold amulet and bronze CFW; linen/cotton cabled sweater

Oh, shoes. I'm wearing either black brogues, navy sandals (Naot "Kayla") or black patent loafers. I'd wear pearls with a plain tennis shoe, but not chunky-funky streetwear sneakers. That's just me, you might pull it off brilliantly.

Wear your pearls with your everyday clothes, except for messy, sweaty activity or when you might expose them to chemicals. Whether that's a freshwater rope found in a thrift  for $25 (I keep mentioning that, but it was such fun to help the woman considering these) or Grande Dame gumballs, they will light your face like nothing else.

So there you go. Lynn. Now if you want to lend me that jade...


Comments

Laura J said…
I’m with Lynn in trying to wear my jewelry everyday and especially to enjoy my pearls. Pearls have worked well this summer with my uniform of linen tunic and linen trousers - except on blistering days! I wear pearl studs for Pilates ! I figure Pearls will be fine with the winter uniform of black jeans and sweater. As I am currently in a shoe crisis I just assume everything will be fine with my Ara pewter sneakers. I still find it hard to wear gemstones during the day but am working on it! BTW you look great in each of those photos! Style and attitude!!
Duchesse said…
Laura J: Yes, on the hottest days I move to earrings or a 35-inch pearl 'chain'. very light. Coloured gemstones and pearls are very wearable during the day, it just depends on the design.

I advise anyone who has jewellery she would not wear by day, and likes the materials, have it restyled so you can wear it in your usual life, or divest it.
LauraH said…
Love seeing you in your pearls! They are gorgeous and you look great in each photo. Is le Duc your official photog? And I couldn't agree more with your advice about wearing what you've got every day. I put on earrings and either necklace or bracelet whenever I go out, even if it's just to grocery shop or pick up my nephew. Wearing my stuff brings me a lot of enjoyment, I don't believe in 'saving' anything any more.
Duchesse said…
LauraH: Selfies. And I have two exciting reno posts in the works, one is yours and the other... a reader's gifts from her mother-in-law.
materfamilias said…
You take great Selfies!! And I love your different specs almost as much as I love the pearls...
Francie Newcomb said…
Wow, you look beautiful in the pearls with casual tops-- I love to do this too. Love the way you use the more updated looking pearls. I just keep wearing the same round white ones but love them anyway! Thank you for brightening everything up with your great style!
Lynn said…
My goodness, no one's ever done a post for me before! It certainly gave me some good ideas as well as emphasized the need for a couple of renos. I'm a third generation only daughter (hope that makes sense) in a family of jewelry lovers with sometimes odd taste so I need all the ideas I cab get. Thank you.
Duchesse said…
Lynn: I thank you, because I really enjoy questions. Renos are so much fun! Feel free to email me if I can help with any specifics. I do not represent any vendor or receive commissions, it's just out of love for pearls.

The posts with the most