Spring in sight: Rambling in the rain

The cruellest month beckons. Here, that is not Eliot's famous April, but nearly-here March, when weakly sunny days alternate with skies that hurl ice pellets. But the particular small cruelty of the present month, February, is that spring goods sprout in shop windows while we are still wrapped in puffers: fine cotton shirts, pastel trousers, and, always ferociously tempting to me, the spring coat.

Spring here lasts about five weeks, muddy and sodden—mild weather is not a sure thing until May and then you have a month until linen time. 

But a shift is necessary, n'est-ce pas?  Last week, I bought this Everlane cotton padded liner jacket way on sale; because navy is more spring-y than black, yet still cozy. I'm happy with its workwear look; the cut has a bit of detail via its dipped back hem.


This is not a raincoat; I prefer an umbrella and a breathable coat to encasement in rubberized material, unless it's a sidewise-hurled storm.

We are desperate to get out of our salt-stained winter boots and into shoes, yet the curbs flood with melt and sidewalks are studded with the gravel meant to provide traction against ice. We still need boots. 

Never have I seen so many good-looking rain boots around, I suppose because of climate change.  Some of these will be s/o but you get the idea: go for a colour, the more surprising the better!

Chelseas

I like a short boot for versatility and lightness, and the kick on/off ease.

Top left: Cougar Iggy in sprightly white with blue band; price, $130. 
Top right: Stutterheim Chelsea Rainwalker in Alfalfa, a classic on sale; sale price $86 in limited sizes.
Bottom: Bogs Holly Chelsea in orange, with the useful tab; price, $100. (Bogs have an arch, unlike cheaper rain boots.)

Wellies

The taller version leaves your legs splashless, and works well if you're off-road or in mud.Left to right: 
Bogs' Amanda Tall in lavender, with an adjustable calf; price, $105.
Mint Velvet April Zip Wellies have a lot going for them: a zipper and faux-fur lining; price, £79 at Next.
Imagine, sleek rain boot that could go out to dinner: Wet Knot's Abbey on their site; also sold at Nordstrom. Price, $139.

Then there's the neck. Even with a collar, it needs protection from splots of cold rain, or wind. Heavy wool blanket scarves get packed away, but a light drift of soft wool or a gentle modal is essential. (Silk is prone to spotting.) Even cotton is fine, depending on your tolerance. 

This scarf, in squashy double-gauze cotton, is the essence of spring—but you may already have one just thrumming to get out. it's made in Rawdon, Quebec, by Etsy seller CreationsSOletUNIQUE; price is $CDN 34. 


It's an infinity scarf but many sellers will make it as a rectangle on request.

I'm not sure why I'm yearning for spring this year; we've barely had a classic Quebec winter! And yet, I keep humming the old jazz standard by Stan Getz, "It Might As Well Be Spring"

I'm as restless as a willow in a windstormI'm as jumpy as a puppet on a stringI'd say that I had spring feverBut I know it isn't spring
I'm as starry eyed and gravely discontentedLike a nightingale without a song to singOh, why should I have spring feverWhen it isn't even spring?


 

Comments

LauraH said…
Although I’m still wearing my tall purple Kamiks, those orange booties are tempting, love that colour! I’m very lucky to be previewing spring here in England, it’s still a long way off at home.
Tom said…
I love your jacket. It reminds me of the oversized padded jackets I just saw all over Japan. I regret not buying one (as does my daughter). So chic! e
Laura J said…
That is a lovely jacket! We have had a relatively easy winter, well we’ve had storms….but I also fin March infuriating…crazy weather but the garden is still mucky…I’m bringing out my reserved fir spring cashmere turtlenecks..amytgest, sage green and turquoise! At least I’m spring like from the waist up. Oh, and pearls..for sure

The posts with the most