Holiday goodies for gotta-bes

It's time to show up with a little something. As Mom always said, "Don't go to a friend's with one arm as long as the other."  

However, we have a small dilemma: it has never been so hard to please; the assortment of dietary preferences and restrictions has ballooned, and recipients have no problem voicing their requirements. But at the same time, there is nothing quite like a treat made by your own hands. 

So this year, for the Passage's annual tie-on-your apron post, several gotta-be recipes and products.  


Gotta Be Gluten-Free

Gluten-Free Fudgesicles


These fudgesicles from Nicole of Gluten-Free on a Shoestring are so good everyone will snarfle them. Only four ingredients! (She uses Scharffen Berger cocoa, so it's not exactly on a shoestring, but the quality shines forth.) You need a popsicle mold and wooden sticks, supplied with most, or you can re-up the sticks here or in the crafts section of a dollar store. A fun treat to make with a child. 

Note: Nicole is an astonishingly inventive gluten-free cook. If you love someone that much, you can make them gluten-free Fruit Loop cereal.


Gotta Be Organic and Sugar-Free

Roasted figs with creme fraîche

Photo: Davidlebovitz.com

For my most finicky friend, I roasted a pan of plump fresh organic figs using David Lebovitz' recipe, flavouring them with a splash of red wine (organic) and a pinch of dried thyme. I gave them with creme fraîche from a local store—or that can be made at home too. 

If you serve the figs as a dessert, quarter but don't cut through one to one and a half per person, and dress with dollop of the creme and a sprinkle of chopped pistachios. The figs can also be served as a savoury accompaniment to roasted meats or vegetables.


Gotta Be Vegan

Mango Chutney

Photo: Vegan Richa

This spicy (or mild) mango chutney from Vegan Richa is the real deal, and can be made as a canned preserve or packaged in any container and eaten within a week or two. It is delicious on flatbread, spooned on a halved avocado, served as a dip, or added to a curry. The recipe allows you leeway with the level of heat, but I like this at least medium-hot.


Gotta Be ABC (Anything But Chocolate)

Almond Torte


Time was, no one I knew did not adore chocolate; now, the chocolate-avoidant abound. Be ready for them with Lee Ann Wilkes' delicious, dead easy, not super-sweet almond torte that does not involve any topping except crunchy sliced almonds. I've made it many times, and it's always complimented. 


Gotta Be Sober

Alcohol-Free Italian Beer

During the holiday season, for whatever reason, many are avoiding the let's-open-another reflex.

Recently, I was accidentally served a 0.0% beer, in a café—I mean, I ordered a beer and this is what they gave me. I was amazed how pleasing the Perroni Nastro Azzurro was; I didn't realize there was no alcohol in this flavourful, refreshing lager until those red zeros caught my eye.  

You can find this at some grocers or order online; Upside Drinks will ship for free to Quebec and Ontario on orders over $99; a six-pack of those chic cans is about $20. If Perroni isn't sold where you live, you might buy other zero or low-alcohol brands and test them. The Sober Carpenter, made in Montréalconsistently gets high ratings; they make craft beers that contain .05% or less alcohol, about as much as you find in  kombucha. A selection would be a great house gift.

I have not found a locally-available alcohol-free wine that I like, I'd rather drink sparkling water.  

Some persons who don't consume alcohol want nothing to do with even zero-alcohol beers, wines or spirits, so it's best to check first. Others enjoy mocktails; The Mindful Mocktail has some terrific options, such as a non-alcoholic Bailey's.  


As always, you have intriguing ideas, so please tell us what you're whipping up or ordering!


 

Comments

Leslie M said…
You hit this one out of the park. I plan to try all of these, except maybe the fruit loops, but those look great, too.

Happy holidays. Thank you for all you do to keep us informed, entertained and fed.
Jane in London said…
How fabulous these treats all look! Anyone would be thrilled to get them. I'm with you on zero alcohol wine: I've never yet met one I like. Cold continental style beer, however, seems absolutely fine without the alcohol.

For those with access to Fortnum's online, I can recommend their Sparkling Tea as a delicious and stylish alternative for those who want something special with bubbles during the party season.
Wendelah said…
I'd love to try the roasted figs recipe but they're sadly out of season here. Maybe next summer...
Venasque said…
Duchesse - I make Crème Fraiche all the time, just adding lemon juice (which you're more likely to have than buttermilk) and sugar and let it sit on the counter in a warmish place. I just pour the whipping cream in a bowl and add lemon juice until it starts to thicken. If you want to use it for dessert, just add sugar until it's as sweet as you like it. This gives a nice, creamy, somewhat runny, consistency, but if you want it nice and thick just let it sit in a sieve lined with some cheesecloth (and of course, a bowl underneath). If it gets thicker than you want, just add some of the whey back in and stir. I've been making it like this for years.
Duchesse said…
Venasque: I'm glad you told me about the trick of adding more whey b/c the one time I tried the lemon juice variant it was thin and noticeably more acidic than buttermilk. Thank you! Someone asked me, "What do you do with leftover creme fraîche?" Never have any!

The posts with the most