Thursday, August 20, 2009

T Magazine's style gorge: Colette, Carey, Kristin and more

The New York Times' T Magazine is always a delicious style gorge, and this Fifth Anniversary Issue delivers an extra dollop of desire and dish.
Shown, Lily Cole photographed by Paolo Roversi.

I won't steal the cherries out of the chocolates, but here are a few of my favourite bits:


"I'm very vain. It's because of my vanity and my pride that I don't want to have my skin drawn tight across my face. I don't want to have big lips. Isn't perfection really about being able to wear your years in a way that is agreeable to look at?"
- Kristin Scott Thomas, in "Cinéma Verité by Holly Brubach; photo by Solve Sondsbo

Did you know Colette ran a beauty business in Pari
s in the early 1930s? She developed and tested formulas herself, designed makeup brushes ("like cat's paws"), and advised clients. She told a mother her daughter should wear her hair with bangs.

"That would be a waste", the mother said, "she has such a pretty forehead, why hide it?" "True", Colette answered, "but I'm sure she has a pretty arse, and you hide that."
- "Belles Lettres" by Christopher Petkanas


This hallucinatorially gorgeous necklace by Rome-based jeweler Luigi Scialanga will make it into my inspiration file.

And the perfect red suit, Prada worn by actor Carey Mulligan.
Photo by Raymond Meier.

5 comments:

Imogen Lamport said...

Sounds like it's full of great articles- when you've finished can you post it to me?

Duchesse said...

Imogen: The link should work now; click on the highlighted text "New York Times' T Style Magazine."

materfamilias said...

Oh, sounds perfect reading for an end-of-summer afternoon!

metscan said...

Great reading. Btw., I like the red ( is it a cold red?) suit by Prada and the way, how it is so casually tied, with a belt.

Anjela's Day said...

Love the Prada suit. And the story made me laugh so much about hiding her arse....hah hah hah Great article. Thanks!