Leatherish trousers

I have an idea for a phone app. You scan something you are about to buy and if there is a 90% match with something you already own, your credit card freezes and the screen flashes "Nope!" There is no way to buy it, at least until you jog to an ATM. 

Until then, this can happen: I was department-store shopping with my friend Katrin. While she scouted the perfect dusty pink tee to wear under a cardigan, I browsed and before I knew it, bought these faux-leather trousers:


They fit perfectly, and are washable. I could see myself wearing them immediately, one of my tests for a good buy. I like them as a change from denim, and they dress up effortlessly for a night out. In case you had a pair in the '90s, the attitude has changed, shown by Alexa Chung in hers:

Once home, I discovered that a nearly identical pair had been exiled to Far Closetstan, because a fly button  popped off two years ago. I asked Le Duc, "If I model, would tell me which pair you like better?" I didn't tell him which pair was new.

He picked the old ones, saying "Well, only slightly, I really can't see the difference." Back the dupe went. There was a time when a backup might be have been wise, but this season, faux leather trousers in cropped, straight leg and bootcut styles are around at various price points. 

Now that I've re-sewn the button, here's an outfit:


Faux leather jeans, Madewell at Nordstrom; extrafine cashmere v-neck, Eric Bompard; black oxfords,   Poppy Barley, Hermès "La Magie" carré, silver "Splash" bracelet, Georg Jensen (vintage).  

If you want a genuine leather effect, choose material that is slightly matte, not vinyl-upholstery reflective, made in "leather" colours: black, or the range of browns from camel to espresso. The stitching should be even and continuous; the trousers should fit right away because they will not stretch as much as real leather. 

What faux leather actually is: polyurethane (or occasionally) vinyl, bonded to a polyester backing. Look for a mid-weight. Some are made with a touch of elastane, providing stretch, but not a size's worth. Faux that's too thin may feel pleasantly supple, but will the top layer will wear through; too heavy results in no drape, the trousers look stiff and bulky. 

Whether from The Gap or Stella MacCartney, your best fit will be similar to your favourite trousers or jeans. I look for front, not side-seam, pockets, and prefer a fly front but if you like pull-ons or a drawstring, they are around.

Here's a closeup of a pair by Commando (on netaporter) to show how the matte looks quite 'real':


Colour will look frankly fake, because it's quite shiny, and that's fine with fans of the Aritza Melina, which comes in about fifteen colours; shown, Adventurine Green and Pearl. It's available in short, regular and tall lengths—and a cropped version, too.   

Out on the wild child end of Fauxlandia, I paused to whistle at a croc-embossed metallic pair from Birger Christiensen's second line, Revolve. They raise my pulse but I fear I'd look like a disco ball.


If you're a skirt woman, that's another option. The asymmetrical faux wrap by Livr updates a classic shape:

For the past several years, I've chosen faux trousers over real, and enjoy the freedom from expensive specialty leather cleaning and repairs. There is also the ethical advantage of not wearing animal skins, but I am not a purist; I wear some leathers as belts, bags and shoes. I love the patina of old leather jackets and bags, which will never happen with faux.

I once thought I'd never wear fake leather clothing—and now, designers like Akris and Altuzzara offer it alongside, and increasingly in place of, genuine leather.


 




Comments

Jay said…
Closetstan:⁠-⁠)
Eve said…
I have always wondered...... are those faux-leather pants hot to wear ? I love the look but I am afraid of a sauna effect.....
Duchesse said…
Jay: A not yet fully-mapped area where it is easy to get lost.

Eve: I do not find them hot, the style I have (shown in first photo) is not tight, and I think that's really the key. Also, it depends on what you would be doing; they would be hot to wear dancing! Suggest you don't wear tights under them, wear trouser or knee-length opaque socks, or use no-show sock liners. Perhaps you could order online and see how they feel, this would be hard to assess in a change room in a store.
Jane in London said…
I, too, am tickled by the concept of Far Closetstan ;)

I have a much-loved pair of black faux leather trousers, by Robell. They seem to work for so many different occasions and dress up/down with ease.

I have never found them too hot, and the only drawback I have noticed is that it is virtually impossible to avoid your table napkin sliding repeatedly off your lap when you are wearing them. I've never found a method of dealing with this irritating side-effect - if any other reader has a cunning ruse, please do tell!

Your app would be marvellous and perhaps it could be programmed to stage an intervention if it finds one browsing for, say, another pale grey v-necked anything. Asking for a friend...
Leslie M said…
Dammit, between you, Duchesse, and Jane in London I’m going to have look at faux leather pants. But, first, check Far Closetstan.
Jane, tuck the napkin between your legs and squeeze.
Duchesse said…
Leslie M: Can double as an isometric exercise? This is a problem when dining in any slippy fabric.
Not at all fond of fake leather, but it is also absolutely none of my business.

My last purchase (other than socks, leggings, underpants and a sport bra) was a good quality dark-denim midi skirt from Simons, it sold out very quickly and I was lucky to secure the only one left in my size, otheriwse only xxs and xxl.

Happy Solstice!
Anonymous said…
So timely! Was just shopping for preowned leather pants to add to the very small collection I have. This year brown seems to agree with me although I swore off brown years ago. Like you read my mind! Thanks for this lovely, insightful blog!

The posts with the most