Buy and Hold: Heritage brands, Part One

Mr. Buffett returns. In early '21, he warned us of inflation, and advised us to buy futures, to stock up on durable "blue chip" brands, the ones we wear often, with pleasure. 

Through the past year, inflation indeed plumped up price tags—since when did a nothing-special tee shirt hit nearly three figures? So we bought Mr B. a sandwich (his usual lunch) and asked, "What else can we do?" He advises, "Buy gold and silver". 

In clothing terms, buy pieces that do not "erode", and it is heritage brands who bank their reputations on that quality. They were established when finished seams, buttons with shanks, darts, and natural fibres (or just a touch of synthetic added for strength) were the norm. 

Not all have maintained their standards; new ownership by private equity results in the apparel equivalent of asset-stripping: capitalizing on a logo but cutting quality. (You, Pendleton.) Others remain faithful to their original promise, making clothes that last for a generation or more.

Heritage firms sort into two categories.

1. Heritage Gold: These long-established luxury brands are fashion and trend-conscious (Prada, Gucci, Hermès, Bottega Veneta). Quality is high, but the clothes do eventually date. Sites like The RealReal and Vestiaire feature such brands.

Vintage Gucci wool jacket, Vestiaire

Mr. B. says, "Be careful, Gucci loses value faster than you think." But he nods approvingly at this example.

2.  Heritage Silver: Still pricey, but because they do not aim for trends or identifiable seasons, they stay in your portfolio (aka closet) longer. The cut may not be le dernier cri, but need not be stuffy; for example, Johnston's of Elgin, Burberry, Peregrine, MaxMara.

Photo retrieved from PetiteinParis.com

Broadening the hunt for heritage

You can find secondhand Pendleton, Woolrich and (only once, but I did it) original Halston in thrifts and consignment stores if you hunt, or on eBay, where prices are higher.

For luxury heritage, The RealReal, Vestaire, First Dibs and vintage sites like LePrix offer many, and you have, for your considerable investment, the assurance that they are authentic.

Burberry Brit jacket, LePrix.com


Vintage Heritage: The young 'uns are on to heritage; just try to snag a Vivienne Westwood jacket now that a generation of Tik-Tok influencers caught on that tailoring, like, matters. 

But so far, they haven't hit makers from before their birth, such as Evan Picone. I found this pure wool brown Prince of Wales Evan Picone blazer listed on Etsy for $40.

Evan Picone blazer

Here's an Anne Klein '80s deadstock wool jacket, size 8; price, $CDN 155—Anne Klein from the days was a coveted brand. Current designers rip off these designs all the time, but the fabric is often much lower-quality.

Anne Klein jacket

Proto-Heritage: A handful of new brands emulate heritage, for example, the Canadian company Anián, passionate about melton cloth. They are forthright about their mission, to provide clothes that last, and are usually made locally. At least one reader is an Anián fan, as is my family.

Occupying a special, quirky niche is the Rhode Island company Gamine Workwear, who make workwear for women, in the good old fabrics. Founded by a gardener and nurserywoman, Taylor Johnston, most pieces are designed for outdoor use, but I would wear the thermal 3/4 sleeve tee, made from Tennessee cotton and sewn in Tiverton, RI, any day.


The price is $US 62, and Mr Buffet says, "This is what I'm talking about, just don't tear it on a rosebush." Mr Buffet has another piece of advice: investing is about attitude as much as cash. (And cash it is, Mr. B. hates debt.) 

Heritage instils pride in "that again", and the so, on to Part Two next week, when Passage's windows consider how to wear these pieces.

 


Comments

LauraH said…
Great post. Thank you for introducing me to Anian, I love to shop Canadian. And Gamine Workwear is going on my list too. Both will get a thorough look over, perfect January activity:-)
I love those Anian melton shirts, but fear the moths might share our taste. I am rather doubtful that I could get by washing them only once a year, unless I used them as posh overshirts.

The price seems very reasonable for the quality.

I'm looking for a skirt in quality denim, at the knee or midi (not maxi) a-line but not too voluminous. Nothing at LLBean or anywhere else I can think of. Pockets are imperative. Do any readers have ideas?
Leslie M said…
I hadn’t thought of Evan Picone in many decades, but it was a brand I often looked for…on sale, of course, during the early 80s when I wanted to look professional and build a career. It was a certain “look” but the clothes were quality and lasted forever with good care.I just read that Mary Tyler Moore’s clothes in her TV show was supplied by Evan Picone. Maybe that’s why I liked them. I have my dictionary ready for the unfamiliar words that pepper your posts. Melton cloth? Looking forward to Part 2.
Laura J said…
Leslie M: there are so many fabrics that we rarely if ever encounter…peau de soie, crepe, georgette, lawn…The names now seem more trademarks…goretex or tencel
I too recall Evan Picone. My indulgence long ago and far away when I wore suits was Jaeger

lagatta….I’m thinking you might have better luck sourcing vintage. I recal Lee brand had some nice skirts in the 60s good luck
Tom said…
Ahhhh...the olden days when brand labels signaled certain levels of quality: Evan-P medium, great value; Anne Klein, higher style, and so on. One of my mother's friends was a distant cousin of Evan or Picone...so she and my mother occasionally got to go to the wholesale outlet.

That melton wool is so tempting! I love blankets.

AND I bought some gnocchi so I can make the soup you recommended a while back. e
Yes, I'm definitely investigating vintage.

Leslie, lexico (Oxford) is a handy online dictionary: https://www.lexico.com/definition/melton It has UK and US options, and is building up its Spanish dictionary.
Jane in London said…
Oh, my goodness, you've now got me thinking of the much-loved quality brands here in the UK that have gone...

Those who did not want to follow the herd bought their trench coat from Aquascutum, rather than Burberry. Low key and beautifully cut, their stuff was lovely. The brand is now Chinese owned, and can be purchased only in China. I've no idea what the quality is like now.

I used to buy my work suits from Austin Reed. Classic and flattering, they went on for ever, and never needed to be pressed. I was so sad when they sank without trace!

Some other 'silver' UK brands still survive, though. Duchesse has already mentioned Johnstons, and there are several premium Scottish woollens companies - I'm thinking companies like Pringle and Lyle & Scott - that still produce quality goods that stand the test of time.

Barbour and Belstaff are still British traditions - I'm amazed to see that they now seem quite desirable second hand. In my day, you wore your waxed jacket until it fell apart and could not take another waxing!

Jaeger (now exclusively available through M&S) still make their classic camel coats, and the quality still looks good. I'm hoping my own model (bought about 7 years ago) lasts a while yet - I don't wear it that much so it's looking good, with no obvious wear and the style hasn't dated.



'Silver' UK shoe and bag makers fare rather better. Russell and Bromley are still making the quality loafers that have been famous for the best part of a century, with vintage pairs selling well online (for those who are happy to buy second hand shoes).

Aspinal of London still make lovely bags in discreet styles with first class workmanship. The hardware used in their bags is good quality too and their pre-loved stuff features on sites such as 1st Dibs and Vestiaire Collective. And, obviously, there's Launer...

Jane in London
Hadilly said…
lagatta, check out Seasalt Cornwall. Excellent quality. They give measurements for their clothing, makes it easy to figure out your size.

I have heard good things about Community Clothing, but haven’t tried it myself.

The posts with the most