Udeman: Gabriel Byrne

After a pause, Udeman, the series that celebrates men past 50, returns!

Worked as a cook, archaeologist, Spanish teacher and bullfighter before turning to acting thirty years ago, at 29.

Fluent in Gaelic, he wrote his first drama, Draiocht, in Irish.

Well-known for his role as the troubled Dr. Paul Weston in the HBO series In Treatment, he returned to the stage in 2008 to play King Arthur in Lerner and Lowe's Camelot.


Byrne is a well-known Human Rights activist and was deeply involved with getting Amnesty’s Imagine campaign running. In fact, it was his inspiration, after hearing his niece's school choir perform "Imagine", that led Amnesty International's USA office to approach Yoko Ono with the idea for the campaign.

He is also a patron of Croi, The West of Ireland Cardiology Foundation. In 2004, he was appointed UNICEF's Ireland Ambassador.


"What is that song that Willie Nelson sang? 'Oh, the days dwindle down to a precious few.' I think of that. No big deal. I've reached a stage in my life where I am content."

Gabriel Byrne explains the meaning of "bollocks", among other comments:




Comments

Susan B said…
Oh, you've picked one of my major heartthrobs! I've always thought he was so sexy and an incredible actor, but never knew how accomplished he was. Thanks!
materfamilias said…
Yes, yes, yes! hedeman indeed! Pater and I have been working our way through In Treatment Dvds and loving it -- I've been a fan of Byrne for ages and I think he gets better as he ages. Rather like Robert Redford -- the beauty somehow becomes more credible, less perfect or something.
Belle de Ville said…
Ah, Gabriel Byrne, the thinking woman's sex symbol.
LPC said…
Oh but gosh, those Italian subtitles are what really do me in.
Frugal Scholar said…
I think he's written short stories too...We love Miller's Crossing.
Laura Cousins said…
Gabriel Byrne is a talented actor as well as coming across as being very intelligent and charming.

Thank you for this post!
Stella said…
As he embarks on his sixth decade, I can't wait to see what this talented, accomplished, thoughtful, dedicated, and yes, sexy artist/thinker/activist does next! He is a man for the 21st Century, that is certain. Thanks for picking him--good choice!
Duchesse said…
All: For a man to earn a Udeman citation, he must be accomplished, attractive and (as far as I can tell) a mensch.

Gabriel Byrne seems to be the most-appreciated Udeman so far. Perhaps I should contact him to confer the honour.
Duchesse said…
materfamilias: Byrne says he has to memorize 1500 pages of dialog per season, and that it is daunting. Love the series despite my therapist friends' carping about how unrealistic it is! And LOVE Dianne Wiest as "Gina".
Anjela's Day said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anjela's Day said…
.....now he is available(since 1999) that's 10 years I have been waiting for him to show up lol

He was on a soap at home for ages.
Thanks Duchesse for allowing my heart to remember :)
Mardel said…
Ah, Gabriel Byrne. You and your commenters have said it all.

The posts with the most