As we've done for some years, we celebrated the birthdays of our twin sons (23) and me (62) this last weekend. Gone are the days of waterpark or fire station parties; since they reached 19 (the age of majority where we live), we choose a restaurant, usually the rooftop Skybar of the Drake Hotel.
Your challenge, dear readers is to figure out who (Duchesse or les fils) received which of these gifts.
Or just have fun checking out the silly and significant, the gestures grand and small, that made the celebrations sparkle.
The best gifts of all: time to spend with dear friends and the deep joy of having both sons home at the same time.
1. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob van Zoet, by David Mitchell
2. Asterios Polyp, by David Mazzucchelli
3. Tahitian pearl necklace, this very one, from Kojima Company
4. Toronto Blue Jays vs LA Dodgers; Dodgers drubbed Jays
5. Medium Raw, by Anthony Bourdain
6. Awakening the Spine, by Vanda Scarvelli
7. A gift certificate for the therapeutic waters at Body Blitz spa
8. A cheque toward a new bike, because beloved bike (well-locked) was stolen from the garage on the birthday
9. A "greenie" cookie
10. Brunch at La Palette, Kensington Market
11. A cheque toward living expenses because birthday person did not anticipate the close of workplace for two weeks (without pay)
12. Pub night at C'est What? bar
13. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, by Stig Larsson
14. Two silver chains, one with pearls and one of antique beads with a hand-cast maple seed pendant by Montreal jeweler Red Sofa