Wednesday, March 17, 2010

UdeMan on St. Pat's: Liam O'Maonlai

Happy St. Patrick's Day! A song for you from one of my favourite (and most Ireland's most handsome) musicians.

Liam O'Maonlai of
The Hothouse Flowers singing a traditional song, "Sadhbh Ni Bhruinneallaigh" in Gaelic. (Harmony vocals, Kathleen MacInnes; fiddle, Allan Henderson; guitar, Steve Cooney; harp, Allan MacDonald; bodhran, Jim Sutherland.) The song is about an fisherman who presents his case to a woman he hopes to court.

The entire family celebrates.
I always hit a pub with one of my GFs, where we introduce ourselves as the O'Malley sisters. The O'Malley sisters may be invented, but they always get a seat!


11 comments:

Deja Pseu said...

Just lovely! Makes me want to pull out my bodhan and play along.

Happy Saint Pat's to you!

Deja Pseu said...

oops, left out an r, "bodhran."

Tish Jett said...

Oh, what a treat. Thank you so much.

I'm with you on the spotted scarf/shawl. It sort of says it all: spring/warm/happy/new.

You are quite the stylish writer as well.

Lisa said...

Thanks! Happy St. Patrick's Day to you.

materfamilias said...

Why doesn't it surprise me that Pseu has, and can play, a bodhran? Have a wonderful St. Pat's -- drink a green beer for me!

Belle de Ville said...

Duchesse, I haven't heard anything by the Hothouse Flowers in decades. Thank you for posting this lovely song.
And, is there anything that Pseu can't do?

LPC said...

I love the thought of the Duchesse bellying up to the bar at an Irish pub. I married into an Irish American family. In my experience, much of the mythology is true, starting with the gift of gab. Those dinner tables dripping with charm....

tippchic said...

Duchesse- go raibh maith agat agus la feile Phadraig dhuit. Thank you and Happy Saint Patrick's Day- celebrated with more enthusiasm in North America then in Ireland I think! Maureen

Duchesse said...

To all: Sláinte chugat!

At the pub at the end of the street we were introduced to a new drink, the Pickleback, one shot of Jameson’s followed by a second shot of pickle juice. Did not try! One Harp is my limit.

tippchic: Yes, it is a North American tradition probably in response to discrimination, as are most "pride" events.

Duchesse said...

LPC: I was once married to an Irish man of great charm. And of course grew up with some... the characteristics were quite accurate in both families :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.