The New "New Face": How doctors are beating Deneuve's Law

Catherine Deneuve is known for saying that after a certain age, a woman chooses between her face and her behind.

About Face, by Jonathan Van Meter, in New York magazine, details how the new breed of face lifts, fillers (and demand from the clients of these services) are disproving her axiom.

The new 'volumized ' face is "like a down stuffed sofa with the cushions plumped up"; the article shows this arresting composite photo, melding Michelle Pfeiffer's brow, Madonna's plumpy cheeks, Angelina Jolie's nose and lips, and Demi Moore's jawline.
(I looked at this photo and thought, oh, Uma Thurman.)

One of the author's friends said, "there is a whole new class of women walking around with wiry little bodies and big ol' baby faces." When I saw Bette Midler recently on TV, she too had this oddly aerated face- not quite puffy, but certainly not the contours of a typical 63 year old.


There's a lot of good dish in the article, including a frank, funny lunch with Madonna's publicist, Liz Rosenberg.


"Instinctively, Rosenberg understands two things that many plastic surgeons agree on: One, people who start with amazing bone structure are the ones who often look better with plastic surgery. 'Like Sophia Loren,' she says. 'What is she? One hundred? Fucking fantastic.' And two, 'you will never look natural if you get shit done to your lips.' "

Comments

Susan B said…
Through some unholy marriage of extreme fitness and calorie restriction (and maybe a little lipo), women have figured out how to tame their aging bodies for longer than ever. You see them everywhere in New York City: forty- and fiftysomethings who look better than a 25-year-old in a fitted little dress or a tight pair of jeans. But this level of fitness has created a new problem to which the New New Face is the solution—gauntness.

I see a lot of this around Beverly Hills and Newport Beach. Not for me, thanks. Think I'll live with some padding on both my hips and face. ;-)
Susan B said…
And with the money I'll save on "procedures" I can travel, eat in nice restaurants, and put something aside for my dotage.
I am up for everything but surgery. I fear surgery of the face above all things---even spiders and snakes. But, fillers and the like I am totally up for.
materfamilias said…
I'm with Pseu -- no procedures for me. Sleep and good sex and beautiful shoes and delicious food are my rejuvenators of choice, and if their rejuvenating effects aren't as physically evident as I'd like, well at least I'll be the 80-year old with the joie de vivre!
Anonymous said…
Getty archive photos of Sophia Loren sporting her latest facelift are the stuff of nightmares. How anyone can say she looks fantastic is beyond me. She is now so lifted I'm sure her face is lopsided.

I wouldn't want to miss this ageing business for anything. Nothing can replace the wisdom and confidence that come with age and the love and satisfaction of seeing my children growing. Why on earth would I want to hide all this behind a face or body that is not mine?
Susan B said…
greying pixie, I think you're right about Sophia Loren. This somewhat recent pic is downright scary:

http://tinyurl.com/5qfd2p
Anonymous said…
Oh no, I just went and looked at the pic that Deja Pseu linked and OH THE HORROR! Please let that be an impersonator, please.
That photo actually shows us exactly what goes wrong with tinkering with ones face - Knowing when to stop. Most people don't.
Duchesse said…
I agree with GP & Pseu and also think it's the styling: 1970's stiff hair, harsh makeup, mutton/lamb getup.

(This woman is Italian, for god's sake- and is dressed like a hooker.)

If she had soft, current hair, subtle makeup and a Lanvin dress: she would still look lifted but not scary.
Anonymous said…
In my opinion Sophia Loren looked her most beautiful in 1998 when she presented the Oscar to Roberto Benigni. She wore a chic plain Armani long sleeved gown, modest diamonds and hair in a wonderful Italian chignon style. She looked 60 something beautiful beyond belief. That is my aim and inspiration in the years to come.

Now I cannot believe what she has done to herself or understand why she has done it. She makes me ashamed to say that I'm half Italian, but believe me, she is definitely NOT typical. I'm just back from Rome where middle age women are just marvellous, elegant, natural, groomed and incredibly sexy.
Anonymous said…
Correction it was the 1999 Oscars.
Anjela's Day said…
I live in a town where women of 30and younger begin to have some form of plastic surgery.

I was approached one day whilst sitting in a spa, waiting for a pedicure-It happened to be Friday-Friday is the day the Botox truck comes into town. The day the
plastic surgeon comes to town for consultation.

A woman asked "Did he do yours" staring at my chest.I had to laugh.
A brochure on the table caught my eye...'Tighten all your loose ends. Vaginal reconstruction on your lunch 'hour''
Just when I thought I had a good hair cut and great teeth and took care to eat right and exercise,I now find something 'new' to wonder about.
Anonymous said…
Good for you for beating me to "The New New Face" article! I read the whole thing, soup to nuts, and was appalled. Are there really people that buy into all this? I'm 44, and according to this article, my slim face and tiny lips are headed for disaster. Guess I'm headed to Dr. Rosenburg for fat implants...NOT!

The posts with the most