I remember my Aunt Alfhild, famous for malapropisms, saying "I can't go to sidewalk sales, I'm such a repulsive buyer."
I'm a repulsive buyer too. I apply the evil false economy known as Princess Dollars: "Let's see- I saved $70 on that outfit, and $40 on the shoes, so that's $110 I can spend on something else!"
The only method that really works (besides not entering the shop) is writing down a list of recent (current and last season) purchases and staring hard at it.
If I do end up in a dressing room, I ask myself Six Questions:
- Would I want this at full price?
- Do I have anything similar? If so, is it on its last legs?
- Do I have at least three things to wear with it?
- Will I wear it within six months, at my present weight?
- Can I pay for it now, or at latest, when I get the bill?
- What item am I willing to get rid of to make room for this? (I do not want the massive closet creep-up ever again.)
I will appreciate having them before Friday, when a sale begins at my favourite local designer's studio.